Premed 101 Forums

Lack of applicants over 37, or does McMaster tend to skew younger?

I was looking at the acceptance stats for McMaster for graduating classes of 2021, 2022, 2023 and they have one acceptance over the age of 37. 

Do they tend to skew away from older candidates, or is there not that many people over the age of 37 applying? I am an older non-trad and honestly, McMaster was my dream school, but this has me worried. 

Hey, fellow older non-trad here (35). I got an interview this cycle - hopefully you find that somewhat encouraging. In the end, as the poster above pointed out, this school is all about stats and interview performance, so there is little explicit reason why an older applicant would be disadvantaged. (There could be implicit reasons...for example, some older applicants may not have decided on the med school route until years after completing undergrad, and did not focus as much on obtaining a high GPA).

19 minutes ago, CanNonTrad said:

Hey, fellow older non-trad here (35). I got an interview this cycle - hopefully you find that somewhat encouraging. In the end, as the poster above pointed out, this school is all about stats and interview performance, so there is little explicit reason why an older applicant would be disadvantaged. (There could be implicit reasons...for example, some older applicants may not have decided on the med school route until years after completing undergrad, and did not focus as much on obtaining a high GPA).

Med school also gets more competitive each year - admission stats from five or even ten years ago are often considerably lower.  It's probably multifactorial - partially the competition (more and more applicants), but also generally increasing GPAs.  Even people that were accepted ten years ago probably wouldn't be as competitive today.   

I think that people are also generally more settled in their careers during their thirties and that going to med school (and then residency) can involve significant disruption and sacrifice, not to mention uncertainty, which older people may be less willing or able to tolerate - especially if they have families...

1 hour ago, DRigs said:

I was looking at the acceptance stats for McMaster for graduating classes of 2021, 2022, 2023 and they have one acceptance over the age of 37. 

Do they tend to skew away from older candidates, or is there not that many people over the age of 37 applying? I am an older non-trad and honestly, McMaster was my dream school, but this has me worried. 

Its irrelevant. Simply less applicants above that age range applying - societal norms about being "settled" and all that. I had a few colleagues start medicine >40 without an issue. Had to apply just like the rest of us.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 6:12 PM, DRigs said:

I actually did not apply to McMaster for that exact reason! And this is very personal of course, but I knew that I would not be comfortable in a class where I was so much older than everyone else. Although I appreciate that I was in the unique spot where I was able to be more selective to where I applied. Having said that, if McMaster is your "dream school" then I would not worry! good luck if you interview there, hope it all works out for you

• 2 weeks later...