Premed 101 Forums

Moving from Quebec/Ontario to UBC for residency

There were a number of people in my Ontario med school year who went to BC. Some just applied broadly and that's where they ranked, others liked UBC as a program, and others wanted a change. Moving across the country for med school or residency isn't uncommon. Vancouver is a great city, I find it very similar to Toronto in a lot of ways, but I actually prefer Van. It's a pricey place to live but so is Toronto. It's a world-class city so it will have everything you need, and better outdoor opportunities vs Toronto.

The difficulty of moving will depend on your outlook. Would you be leaving important friends/family/supports behind, or are you ready for a fresh start with new experiences?

Some move back to be closer to family, etc. some find new opportunities elsewhere and move on, some set down roots and say, meet a partner, etc.

It's generally easier to work somewhere you have trained after learning the system, networking, making connections, etc. but people certainly do move for jobs all the time.

23 hours ago, bearded frog said:

There were a number of people in my Ontario med school year who went to BC. Some just applied broadly and that's where they ranked, others liked UBC as a program, and others wanted a change. Moving across the country for med school or residency isn't uncommon. Vancouver is a great city, I find it very similar to Toronto in a lot of ways, but I actually prefer Van. It's a pricey place to live but so is Toronto. It's a world-class city so it will have everything you need, and better outdoor opportunities vs Toronto.

The difficulty of moving will depend on your outlook. Would you be leaving important friends/family/supports behind, or are you ready for a fresh start with new experiences?

Some move back to be closer to family, etc. some find new opportunities elsewhere and move on, some set down roots and say, meet a partner, etc.

It's generally easier to work somewhere you have trained after learning the system, networking, making connections, etc. but people certainly do move for jobs all the time.

that's the concern i think - leaving my established community + partner for what i feel is a program i'm better suited to, but then the consequences are that i have a much smaller network, and will be starting from scratch. lots to think about. perhaps more of an option for fellowship. 

As someone in BC, I’ll just say that BC is a very very big place. There are a lot of pros to living here, but the experience in a residency program, how connected you are to the rest of the country, and what sorts of experiences will be available to you can vary a lot depending on your site! Feel free to dm me if you want to discuss the programs you’re considering (I know a lot more about some sites than others). 

• 7 months later...
On 1/24/2021 at 7:51 PM, bellejolie said:

that's the concern i think - leaving my established community + partner for what i feel is a program i'm better suited to, but then the consequences are that i have a much smaller network, and will be starting from scratch. lots to think about. perhaps more of an option for fellowship. 

Soo... Did you succeed in moving? How was it for you?

Because I am looking for the possibility to move on the opposite: from Ontario to Quebec and I have some concerns... Moral support and maybe an advice would be appreciated, thanks. 

Edit:

Already called to three different companies and only https://highstreammoving.com/ agreed to move all my stuff with the cost of 300 bucks. But I still have concerns about the move I am going to start in the end of the week. Just hope that everything will be fine. 

On 9/21/2021 at 6:48 PM, Terrariasm said:

Because I am looking for the possibility to move on the opposite: from Ontario to Quebec and I have some concerns... Moral support and maybe an advice would be appreciated, thanks. 

Edit:

Already called to three different companies and only https://highstreammoving.com/ agreed to move all my stuff with the cost of 300 bucks. But I still have concerns about the move I am going to start in the end of the week. Just hope that everything will be fine. 

I just moved 5000 km for med school with kids in tow. You’ll be fine I promise. Make heavy use of zoom/facetime/messenger to keep contact with your moral support people at home while you slowly build your new network.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 6:48 PM, Terrariasm said:

Edit:

no didn't move! stayed where i am and am very happy. can't give up the community and glad i didn't. it's getting me through residency.