Premed 101 Forums

Is there a value for personal statements?

6 minutes ago, lovemedicinesomuch said:

I was talking to a resident in a competitive speciality and I was told that PS are just for red flags, and that the LoR is what makes you or break you. Is that true? 

Traditionally in the specialty that I know most about which I would say is competitive - yes because the PS has little value to them as they know anyone can fluff up even minimal experiences. The real interaction is from electives which are basically a 2-week long audition interview. 

Although in a year with no interactions from electives (8 week cap + COVID), these specialties would read your PS with more care than they usually do

1 minute ago, CaRMS2021 said:

Traditionally in the specialty that I know most about which I would say is competitive - yes because the PS has little value to them as they know anyone can fluff up even minimal experiences. The real interaction is from electives which are basically a 2-week long audition interview. 

Although in a year with no interactions from electives (8 week cap + COVID), these specialties would read your PS with more care than they usually do

That's what I thought as well!

17 minutes ago, Butterfly_ said:

I heard from my career counsellor that there are students who write statements like "I have superior medical knowledge compared to my classmates".  LOL. 

Letters that sound boastful or arrogant are probably not well-received.

Lolll... I read few so far, and i have not seen that one yet!!

5 hours ago, gangliocytoma said:

Idk, I'm just going through the process myself. I'm guessing if it looks like you didn't try (lots of spelling/syntax errors), didn't answer the questions, etc.

41 minutes ago, Butterfly_ said:

I heard from my career counsellor that there are students who write statements like "I have superior medical knowledge compared to my classmates".  LOL. 

Letters that sound boastful or arrogant are probably not well-received.

22 minutes ago, lovemedicinesomuch said:

Bad PS =  list your CV, does not answer question, lack insight into speciality you are applying to, grammar errors, arrogance, difficult to read.... I can keep going lol

Thanks all!!! After writing so many, I’ve started feeling like they all sound generic (especially some programs that don’t provide much info on their website and that I don’t have any connection to), so I was worried. But what you all said makes sense! :)

As a side note (hopefully not too off-topic) - anyone finding the word limits on some very difficult? I’ve been struggling with ones that want you to answer 5-6 questions in just 500 words, for example. 

16 hours ago, bread said:

Thanks all!!! After writing so many, I’ve started feeling like they all sound generic (especially some programs that don’t provide much info on their website and that I don’t have any connection to), so I was worried. But what you all said makes sense! :)

As a side note (hopefully not too off-topic) - anyone finding the word limits on some very difficult? I’ve been struggling with ones that want you to answer 5-6 questions in just 500 words, for example. 

omg the 500 words is SO annoying - some schools are nice and say approximately, or around so you can go up a bit but others are strict and are like "we look at how students follow instructions" like serious f offfff you want me to explain everything ive done, why the specialty, the location, etc all in 500 words. like give me 550 please. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 1:55 PM, gangliocytoma said:

I've been told that a bad personal statement can sink your application but a good one won't necessarily get you in. My resident contacts have told me to aim for something that is honest and demonstrates your personality

^In my opinion, absolutely true! :P