Premed 101 Forums

J1 visa as Canadian citizen

6 minutes ago, Path2path said:

So can you shed some light on the Statement of Need from Canada?

Is it limited to the specialty and the number of seats?

I don't believe there is a limit, although there are a few specialties which have been identified as having low demand (mostly surgical).

They have issued J1 visas to those pursuing subspecialty fellowship in orthopedic surgery or cardiac surgery, even though those are renowned for having very limited job opportunities.

If your intention is to stay on in the US after fellowship, I suggest looking into H1B instead.

30 minutes ago, MonkeyDLuffy said:

I don't believe there is a limit, although there are a few specialties which have been identified as having low demand (mostly surgical).

They have issued J1 visas to those pursuing subspecialty fellowship in orthopedic surgery or cardiac surgery, even though those are renowned for having very limited job opportunities.

If your intention is to stay on in the US after fellowship, I suggest looking into H1B instead.

Ok great thanks, do you have any idea about pathology?

I went there on a J1 - the statement of need is normally a trivial thing to get completed for most specialities. The people reviewing them have little idea about the job market or the training itself (wouldn't matter anyway - as the is post residency so the person would already be in that field. the fellowship doesn't introduce a new person to a crowded field, they are rather already there). You just have to have something that sounds plausible, which is easy as all fellowships sound that way and even more actually are filling a need in something. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 5:12 AM, Path2path said:

Ok great thanks!

And also where can i find out about the logistics of moving to the US. Will be moving with my family so how would the actual move etc work? For example i read somewhere i need to fill out forms for the items i am taking and a form for any cars i would be taking there

Agree with rmorelan, the SON was straightforward.

Regarding the move, I read about the process a bit on some expat forums and the GOC website. Crossing into the US was extremely fast and straightforward. There was more inspection upon return to Canada - I was extremely organized, and I think that helped. The list of stuff is more to help you getting back into Canada, and most important for big ticket items (they would want you to pay taxes on things not owned for some minimum amount of time if the value exceeds your exemption limit - i can't remember the figures but I'm sure they're on the government website somewhere). If you have pets, also read up on the requirements for them. I moved all my own stuff in a Uhaul so it might be more complicated if you have movers, but I'm not sure.

• 3 months later...