Premed 101 Forums

Dalhousie GPA Calculation 2021-2022 Cycle

Hey Everyone! 

I was looking at the Dal website and saw that Dal has changed some of their GPA requirements. 

"Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer term courses are eligible for GPA calculation, provided they contribute to the degree requirements. For example; credits from summer courses that are not part of the 120 credit hour degree requirements are not eligible for GPA calculation. If an elective course contributed to the 120 credit hour degree requirements then it is eligible for GPA caclulation." 

Does that mean electives that are not core courses taken during the regular semesters (fall and winter) no longer contribute toward the GPA? Or is it just talking about courses taken during the summer? Since they were never considered for GPA calculations prior to next cycle. 

English isn't my first language, so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I had the same question, the next sentences was the response.

“If you have not graduated and you take an extra year (5th year) of courses, if they contribute to the 120 hour degree requirements, they will be used in your GPA calculation. 

If you graduate and then resume studies, the extra year will not count.”

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any insight?

I am applying to the program this summer and just have a question regarding my GPA calculations. 
I attended a university that used a letter system that only went up to an A, which corresponded to a 4.0/4.0 scale. I went to the OMAS gpa conversion table and it indicated that an A from my school was equal to an A+ from Dalhousie.
When I am entering my letter grades on Step 2A of my application do I list my courses with an A as an A which corresponds to a 3.9/4.0 in your system or an A+ which corresponds to a 4.0/4.0.

This part of the application forces you to use letter grades instead of numbers. Any insight?

18 hours ago, canadianseabass said:

Does anyone have any insight?

I am applying to the program this summer and just have a question regarding my GPA calculations. 
I attended a university that used a letter system that only went up to an A, which corresponded to a 4.0/4.0 scale. I went to the OMAS gpa conversion table and it indicated that an A from my school was equal to an A+ from Dalhousie.
When I am entering my letter grades on Step 2A of my application do I list my courses with an A as an A which corresponds to a 3.9/4.0 in your system or an A+ which corresponds to a 4.0/4.0.

This part of the application forces you to use letter grades instead of numbers. Any insight?

I would probably send an email to medicine.admissions@dal.ca on this topic! I believe they go by the OMSAS conversion table, but I think you should check in with them :)

When you put your letter grades into the system, it does the GPA conversion for you but it does ask you to put your grades in exactly as they appear on your official transcript. I think emailing the admissions team would be your best bet, and they do get back to you quite quickly