Premed 101 Forums

3rd cycle, 1st and only interview, unlikely admissions chances? Thank you in advance!

This might be a stupid question, but since this is my third time applying (2018/19, 19/20, and 20/21) and first time with an interview, I'm a little worried

I was wondering if, if you've gotten only 1 Canadian med interview over 3 cycles, does this mean I just barely got the interview and my chances are really low? 

The reason I ask is that most people that have applied to med that I know of have gotten an interview from 1 school during one of their cycles and then never again after multiple cycles of applying

Also worried about the disadvantage in terms of never having done a med interview and doing one without any experience (i.e. the benefit of doing multiple interviews to build confidence, get real life experience of what med interviews feel like, etc.)  

Thank you so much!

39 minutes ago, PreMed#219099 said:

This might be a stupid question, but since this is my third time applying (2018/19, 19/20, and 20/21) and first time with an interview, I'm a little worried

I was wondering if, if you've gotten only 1 Canadian med interview over 3 cycles, does this mean I just barely got the interview and my chances are really low? 

The reason I ask is that most people that have applied to med that I know of have gotten an interview from 1 school during one of their cycles and then never again after multiple cycles of applying

Also worried about the disadvantage in terms of never having done a med interview and doing one without any experience (i.e. the benefit of doing multiple interviews to build confidence, get real life experience of what med interviews feel like, etc.)  

Thank you so much!

Doesn't matter, do your best and see what happens.

Most people in Canada only get 1-2 interviews in any given cycle, and its quite common to not get in after a few tries. 

You can't control anything, so there is no point thinking about potential "odds" - just do the best you can at the interview. Many people get in with very below average stats every year, assumingely because they do well in the interview. Assume its fair game once youre at the interview stage. Assuming otherwise does not help you at all.