Premed 101 Forums

Clinical Shadowing During Pandemic?

Hello! 

I am a non-traditional hopeful applicant to MD programs in Ontario, but I completed my PhD and Post-Doctoral Fellowship about two years ago and since then have been working with the provincial ministry of health -- in my undergraduate / graduate years (and even up until finishing my PhD) -- I had a fair amount of volunteering and was able to get some clinical shadowing spots with clinicians that I knew -- however, it has been a few years and before applying this Fall, I am feeling like I need to show more recent clinical shadowing -- of course with the pandemic, I am finding it hard (that is, I have not) reached out to any clinicians since they are likely not able to do this kind of "volunteer work" themselves -- has anyone been able to do any clinical shadowing during the pandemic or does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get some clinical volunteer hours while not burdening a local clinician?  

3 hours ago, plansformed2015 said:

Hello! 

I am a non-traditional hopeful applicant to MD programs in Ontario, but I completed my PhD and Post-Doctoral Fellowship about two years ago and since then have been working with the provincial ministry of health -- in my undergraduate / graduate years (and even up until finishing my PhD) -- I had a fair amount of volunteering and was able to get some clinical shadowing spots with clinicians that I knew -- however, it has been a few years and before applying this Fall, I am feeling like I need to show more recent clinical shadowing -- of course with the pandemic, I am finding it hard (that is, I have not) reached out to any clinicians since they are likely not able to do this kind of "volunteer work" themselves -- has anyone been able to do any clinical shadowing during the pandemic or does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get some clinical volunteer hours while not burdening a local clinician?  

Honestly I feel like given the circumstances, at this point it might even constitute a red flag to actually be doing traditional clinical shadowing during the pandemic. (Unless, for example, you happen to be living in the same bubble with a doctor, who you can shadow while they conduct telemedicine)

I don’t think you need to show admissions committees that you’ve done clinical shadowing during the pandemic in order to appear more worthy. I would think that the admissions committees would recognize how dangerous and unethical traditional clinical shadowing would be right now. We’re all in the same boat, and there are plenty of motivated applicants who are also deprived of that opportunity so in that sense you’re not at all at a disadvantage. Just my two cents.

There are other ways to get involved, of course - like volunteer research, or working, for example, for a provincial health ministry (which you already do haha!)

But the title of your thread is “Clinical Shadowing during the pandemic”, which is why I addressed that specific activity.

10 minutes ago, MDee2B said:

There are other ways to get involved, of course - like volunteer research, or working, for example, for a provincial health ministry (which you already do haha!)

But the title of your thread is “Clinical Shadowing during the pandemic”, which is why I addressed that specific activity.

Hello! 

Thanks very much for your helpful response!  I agree about your ethical points -- which is why I included a "?" in the title of my thread -- I agree that now is not the time to be trying to add a new clinical shadowing experience, I was just curious if I was missing out on this, especially as it leads up to the Fall applications -- I will definitely continue to reach out to clinicians to see if I can help them in non-clinical environments... thanks again for your feedback!  :)

4 hours ago, plansformed2015 said:

Hello! 

Shadowing was never something that got you any points on your OMSAS applications. As someone who has done file review, you are better off spending time doing volunteering where you provide a meaningful service (i.e. Kids help phone for example) than any sort of physician shadowing. 

Shadowing is not relevant to applications in Canada. Many schools actively discourage it because of ethical concerns related to patient privacy and rights, equitability of access to opportunities, and so on. In addition, many medical schools are not even allowing their own students to shadow because of COVID. So I would actively advise you against trying to do any shadowing outside of actually volunteer or paid work where such activities are relevant.

Edit: for example,

https://www.cpsbc.ca/for-physicians/college-connector/2015-V03-05/04