Premed 101 Forums

IMS University of Toronto, MSc Medical Science

Hi! On the IMS website, on the "Applying" page, I noticed that there is an early consideration deadline that was on February 1st, whereas the normal deadline for domestic student is June 15th (which seems really late). I was wondering if there were an advantages to early consideration? Do they get accepted sooner into the program, or are they simply notified during the first round of offers?     

Hi! I don't know too much in terms of detail, but I completed my MSc with IMS and I know I applied early and received my acceptance in May. I was also able to contact potential supervisors and speak with them early on to see if anyone I was interested in working with was taking on MSc students. Having a supervisor in mind or secured can help with your application, as far as I know (again, speaking from personal experience, so take this with a grain of salt). 

As well, the IMS department is really helpful and responsive. I would suggest emailing them if you had any concerns. My guess would be that the sooner you submit your application, the better your odds will be.

Best of luck!

On 2/5/2021 at 1:40 PM, SmallTownGal said:

Hi! I don't know too much in terms of detail, but I completed my MSc with IMS and I know I applied early and received my acceptance in May. I was also able to contact potential supervisors and speak with them early on to see if anyone I was interested in working with was taking on MSc students. Having a supervisor in mind or secured can help with your application, as far as I know (again, speaking from personal experience, so take this with a grain of salt). 

As well, the IMS department is really helpful and responsive. I would suggest emailing them if you had any concerns. My guess would be that the sooner you submit your application, the better your odds will be.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the feedback! I thought maybe applying for early consideration would mean that you are accepted earlier, but I guess it might just speak to your "motivation" as an applicant/increase your odds of acceptance. 

Final question: Do you know by any chance if people get accepted before May? 

Thanks again! 

20 hours ago, secdora said:

Thanks for the feedback! I thought maybe applying for early consideration would mean that you are accepted earlier, but I guess it might just speak to your "motivation" as an applicant/increase your odds of acceptance. 

Final question: Do you know by any chance if people get accepted before May? 

Thanks again! 

Hey! No worries at all. I actually just checked my email and I received my acceptance at the end of April when I applied. Unfortunately, I am not certain if the committee uses a rolling admissions process or not, though it kind of sounds that way. That said, I would still guess that the earliest admissions offers are sent sometime in mid/late April.