Premed 101 Forums

Is it true you have a ridiculously high chance of acceptance post interview at UofT?

Traditionally UofT interviews ~180 applicants (not sure more this year) and accepted 96 applicants. 

That is already 53% of those interviewed WITHOUT accounting for any waitlist movement.

Generally waitlist moves about 20~40 ppl each year

That means once you receive an interview from UofT, you have 64~76% of being acceptance.

Why is it so HIGH??? Esp when Western interviews 200+ ppl to send 50ish invites + wailist

Yes, it is true. Because U of T looks at primarily academics and research and specifically selects for candidates with post-graduate studies. 180 interviewees is enough for them to be safe even with the waitlist movement. It was advertised in the past but interview at U of T accounts for about 20-25% of the weight of acceptance. You pretty much have to do average on the interview once getting an interview to guarantee an acceptance.

Other schools such as Western may weigh the interview more highly than this (and less so the grades) therefore they want to cast a wider net to get the best possible outcome given that a stronger interview can compensate for a weaker cGPA.

13 minutes ago, dentistrydmd said:

Yes, it is true. Because U of T looks at primarily academics and research and specifically selects for candidates with post-graduate studies. 180 interviewees is enough for them to be safe even with the waitlist movement. It was advertised in the past but interview at U of T accounts for about 20-25% of the weight of acceptance. You pretty much have to do average on the interview once getting an interview to guarantee an acceptance.

Other schools such as Western may weigh the interview more highly than this (and less so the grades) therefore they want to cast a wider net to get the best possible outcome given that a stronger interview can compensate for a weaker cGPA.

Interesting. Just a few questions. 

1. UofT website mentions that in 2019 only 12 ppl out of 96 had masters/PhDs so I don't think UofT favors post-graduate studies and looks heavily on research

2. How do you know interview only accounts of 20-25%? Not saying you are wrong just never heard of this before.

3. Do you know how CASPER and the two essays factor in?

4. If stats (DAT and GPA) are weighed so heavily, how did someone with 22AA and 3.96GPA straight up get rejected (not even waitlist) last year? Was he red flagged because he said something like he was in dentistry for the money?

14 hours ago, MitralLunar said:

Interesting. Just a few questions. 

1. UofT website mentions that in 2019 only 12 ppl out of 96 had masters/PhDs so I don't think UofT favors post-graduate studies and looks heavily on research

2. How do you know interview only accounts of 20-25%? Not saying you are wrong just never heard of this before.

3. Do you know how CASPER and the two essays factor in?

4. If stats (DAT and GPA) are weighed so heavily, how did someone with 22AA and 3.96GPA straight up get rejected (not even waitlist) last year? Was he red flagged because he said something like he was in dentistry for the money?

It's possible they have changed their strategy about selection of applicants. They used to give a 0.05 bump to GPA when you had completed a Masters or PhD. Not sure if it is still in effect.

1. I just looked up the statistics as well. It seems this number may have changed from past years, but about 4-5 years ago the numbers were about half the students had masters or PhD. I am certain they look at research experience however, even if a masters/PhD was not completed. 

2. This was the case 4-5 years ago when the dental schools actually published their criteria for acceptance (I had them all written down when I was applying etc.). Typically GPA counted for about 55-65%, DAT for 10-20% and interview for 20-30%. U of T had a personality test which accounted for 5% of that evaluation. The criteria are generally reflective of how much they are demonstrating your capabilities in dental school. Obviously GPA is a significant factor and accounts for most of that. I attached a chart that showed the criteria in 2012 though they varied slightly over the years and weren't much different when I was applying more recently. Mcgill has always been the exception to the rule where once you had gotten the interview (different selection criteria) it was 80% MMI and 20% GPA (though during covid they have made it 100% MMI).

3. Casper (and the essays) is typically a screening tool as is done in most medical schools (ie. the example of your friend with a good GPA but got rejected), but if it is used in a criteria calculation it would probably be worth in the range of 5-8%. 

4. GPA is typically weighted heavily, DAT isn't. It could be something was said in the essays that didn't sit right with someone who read it yes. Alternatively, the CASPER didn't go well for them, which is most likely the case. Also the degree you select can be a factor ie. a non-science/non-honours degree or an easier degree may not be looked at the same way.

By the way, I did a random search and it seems that University of Saskatchewan still publishes their criteria (1. 65% GPA, 2. 15% DAT, 3. 20% Interview and 4. CASPer "All applicants are required to successfully complete the CASPer test in order to be eligible for admission.")  https://admissions.usask.ca/dentistry.php#Categoriesofapplicants

Dentistry- Chart 3.jpg

There are around 180 interviews, 96 people get accepted and then 45 people are placed on the waitlist. Then, approximately 30/45 people on the waitlist end up getting accepted by august, so yeah you do have a pretty high chance of getting in after the interview, goodluck