Premed 101 Forums

Is there any point?

On 2/6/2021 at 11:22 AM, LastOneStanding said:

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if any undergrad student got interview invite with GPA less than 3.9?

Do you know of someone?

Was wondering if there is any point to apply to UofT anymore?

Appriciate any input!

I know it sounds silly but I had a 3.89, and honestly I thought that cut off would hinder me but it did not. I know it seems like the same thing but in a pre-med realm where some schools round to the nearest 0.001 its clear that less than 3.9 were accepted!

Plenty of people interview with sub 3.9s, so yes there is a point! Also, seeing that many of those rejected yesterday were 3.98-4.0 applicants, clearly references and essays mean a lot. Also, not many are mentioning this, but I really do think that UofT will reduce the emphasis of GPA this cycle. By changing the wGPA policy to only dropping 2 FCEs instead of 3 or 4 depending on years of study completed, wGPAs will definitely fall. They know this and will take it into account.

So in short, there is always hope. Just put as much effort into your essays and securing good references as you do your studies! And as was said above, you do not want to regret not applying and just being a spectator.

I think you should still apply. My cousin's best friend got in last year with a 3.67 wGPA and 3.61 cGPA. She had a bachelor's degree, no masters or PhD, no research and wasn't an Indigenous applicant. She had lots of work experience and community service under her belt, and I'm sure her references were stellar. 

18 minutes ago, FingersCrossedPls said:

They don't tell us what our weighted GPA rankings are or even directly tell us our weighted GPA so i dont even think its possible for the current student to know this tbh

From my understanding it was something that one, I'd assume pretty high ranking person, just said to the class. I'm guessing the context was a "you guys achieved a lot to be here, be proud of yourselves" type of talk to the incoming class.

16 hours ago, M3P0 said:

From my understanding it was something that one, I'd assume pretty high ranking person, just said to the class. I'm guessing the context was a "you guys achieved a lot to be here, be proud of yourselves" type of talk to the incoming class.

Yep that's exactly it. They gave us a presentation about our class demographics and random cool facts at the beginning of the year.

On 2/17/2021 at 12:29 AM, M3P0 said:

Ah ok, this makes more sense thank you for clarifying. I thought hmmmm I dont ever remember being told my ranking!