Premed 101 Forums

International students studying medicine in Canada?

JFA23

As an international student, can I study medicine in Canada? Will it be more helpful for me to study medicine if I have permanent residency in Canada?  If possible, what grades are required for medical school entrance examination? The last question is, if I am majoring in bioengineering undergraduate, can I apply for medical school entrance examination? Thank you

2 hours ago, JFA23 said:

As an international student, can I study medicine in Canada? Will it be more helpful for me to study medicine if I have permanent residency in Canada?  If possible, what grades are required for medical school entrance examination? The last question is, if I am majoring in bioengineering undergraduate, can I apply for medical school entrance examination? Thank you

There are a few schools i believe that have a couple of seats for international students without PR - i believe UofT, Mcmaster. Check the schools websites for accurate information. There are very minimal seats, and its obviously super competitive(though medicine in general in Canada is super competitive).

Are you doing your bachelors in Canada?

Canada does not have "entrance" exams like other countries, we have the MCAT in north america, and most schools require a 4 bachelors degree to apply (or close to 75% of completion of one). 

Permanent residency will definitely improve your odds. But again, we know zero information from your post about your situation to provide better guidance.

So please provide more information: are you living and studying in canada? what year are you in? are you in a canadian bachelors program or a foreign program? Are you in the process of applying for PR or looking towards that in the future?

As the above poster says, there are some schools who accept international students, but its very compeditive and very expensive (ie ~$100000/y). Also you cannot do residency in Canada as a non-PR or citizen. If you get your PR, you can apply in the same cohort as any Canadian applicant and tuition will be the usual amount, and you can apply to residency here as well.

40 minutes ago, JFA23 said:

I came to Montreal from the fifth grade. I am now in the secondary 4. I am considering applying for PR. I plan to study my bachelor in Canada. I prefer bioengineering. But I don’t know if bioengineering can apply for medical school or not. Thank you

No problem at all! You just need to do your prereqs (2 bio classes, 2 inorganic chemistry classes, 1 organic chemistry class, and you should get your physics and math covered with your bioengineering degree), and have a good enough CRU (which directly correlates with your undergrad GPA), and it'd be fine.