Premed 101 Forums

Thoughts on UofT dentistry interview? 2021

23 minutes ago, hopefulpremed98 said:

Did anyone else feel like theirs were way too short. I finished in under 10 minutes and tried making small talk to go longer. They really did rapid fire on those questions with no follow up. Also I don’t understand why they said it was a traditional interview. It felt like an mmi but with no switching rooms or evaluators. 

I thought it was short in general but I finished right on time  (15 minutes). For me they had at about 1 follow up question except for the second one. But I agree it didn't feel too much like an traditional interview nor mmi imo based on the questions they asked but rather just super random questions 

4 hours ago, MitralLunar said:

lmaooo they done did us with those curve balls

Anyways, what are some signs that the interview went well vs poorly

Do you feel that you fully answered the questions?  Was there anything that you stumbled over or felt like you weren't able to articulate well?  Did your assessors give any acknowledgement whatsoever?

about my interview:

- not traditional questions...lots of curve balls. Was definitely more difficult than I expected

- confident about maybe one question LOL 

- lasted 20 minutes

- stuttered so much :,)

- almost no smiling until the end

- some people said it was conversational...? think mine was pretty formal :/ probs a bad thing

1 hour ago, hmmmmmmmm said:

about my interview:

- not traditional questions...lots of curve balls. Was definitely more difficult than I expected

- confident about maybe one question LOL 

- lasted 20 minutes

- stuttered so much :,)

- almost no smiling until the end

- some people said it was conversational...? think mine was pretty formal :/ probs a bad thing

People thought it was conversational!? Oh boy. Mine was very formal too. 

That interview was definitely did not reflect the many hours I spent preparing for it. I really wish they had given more details on what to expect ahead of time....

But it sounds like the interviewers weren't really making a big effort to get to know us, is it possible that it's being weighted less since it's virtual this year?

My opinion, which seems to go against what others are saying in this thread...

I felt that  my interviewer and I had a great connection, and it felt like a natural conversation. While my questions were not about dentistry I was able to spin them in a way that brought in my experiences and tied them into dentistry well. Me and my interviewers were laughing, talking about my experiences and I felt like they got to know me well. I do have a lot of interview experience being a bit of a mature student, and I do feel like I could have gone longer (we went for 24 min) but overall it felt good. 

I guess keep in mind that UofT normally does in-person MMI, and this was there first time doing virtual interviews in a different format ("traditional"), so I guess everyone can have highly varying experiences. I felt like I could not speak very long about their questions, so my answers ended early with lots of time left over. Did some follow up questions for a few minutes but overall the interview was less than 20 minutes for sure. Was not really conversational for me. Pretty fast question-answer-question-answer...

58 minutes ago, karfhaj said:

I guess keep in mind that UofT normally does in-person MMI, and this was there first time doing virtual interviews in a different format ("traditional"), so I guess everyone can have highly varying experiences. I felt like I could not speak very long about their questions, so my answers ended early with lots of time left over. Did some follow up questions for a few minutes but overall the interview was less than 20 minutes for sure. Was not really conversational for me. Pretty fast question-answer-question-answer...

felt the same way

5 hours ago, Carson K said:

My opinion, which seems to go against what others are saying in this thread...

I felt that  my interviewer and I had a great connection, and it felt like a natural conversation. While my questions were not about dentistry I was able to spin them in a way that brought in my experiences and tied them into dentistry well. Me and my interviewers were laughing, talking about my experiences and I felt like they got to know me well. I do have a lot of interview experience being a bit of a mature student, and I do feel like I could have gone longer (we went for 24 min) but overall it felt good. 

I know that the interviewers all vary, but having interviewers who are friendly and conversational goes a long way to making a potential student feel comfortable.  I do feel strongly that all of the interviewers should have had the same style, be it conversational or stone faced.  Also, even though there are 180 hopefuls to get through, there seemed to be such a variance in types of questions.  Is there not a way to give all of us similarly easy or difficult questions?

44 minutes ago, helpfulornot said:

I know that the interviewers all vary, but having interviewers who are friendly and conversational goes a long way to making a potential student feel comfortable.  I do feel strongly that all of the interviewers should have had the same style, be it conversational or stone faced.  Also, even though there are 180 hopefuls to get through, there seemed to be such a variance in types of questions.  Is there not a way to give all of us similarly easy or difficult questions?

agreed. I'm wondering if they standardize all the interview scores for each interviewer?....say 1 interviewer gives an average score of 80%, while the other give an average score of 50%; do they standardize this somehow?