Premed 101 Forums

Updated Admissions Statistics

Wow, 1283 QC applicants and 1225 CDN applicants. The average GPA in the QC applicant group invited for an interview has dropped slightly though, so maybe that's a good sign for non-traditional applicants or people with lower GPAs... also last year the mode for those invited for interviews was 4.0, now it's *just* 3.95 lol

Looks like for the QC university cohort there's about a 45% chance of admission after interview all things being equal. It's probably higher once the waitlist is considered - maybe up to 50% if the waitlist moves 20 places this year (but who knows what'll happen). I was wondering if they'd interview a much larger proportion of QC applicants given the recent increase in seats, but it looks like that's not the case. 

But the CDN cohort is just brutal. 2.8% of applicants got an interview this year.

18 hours ago, p12345lu said:

The AFMC 2021 admissions guide is showing different numbers than this website. Anyone know why? 

I took a quick look and it seems like the numbers in that are at least a couple of years old. The numbers referenced in this thread were only made public yesterday.

31 minutes ago, p12345lu said:

Are you sure? I looked on page 32 and it says that the numbers are for 2021 admission. 

Oh yeah sorry I was looking at the chart on the next page(?) that only had admissions success rate up until 2018/2019. As for the GPA information, the way it's phrased makes it unclear to me which year the data are from (but they're certainly not from the current cycle), and in the AFMC document it does say that the GPA information is from all applicants. Since McGill only (iirc) publishes GPA information separately for each applicant category, this could explain the discrepancy.

14 minutes ago, Vons said:

Oh yeah sorry I was looking at the chart on the next page(?) that only had admissions success rate up until 2018/2019. As for the GPA information, the way it's phrased makes it unclear to me which year the data are from (but they're certainly not from the current cycle), and in the AFMC document it does say that the GPA information is from all applicants. Since McGill only (iirc) publishes GPA information separately for each applicant category, this could explain the discrepancy.

I should have clarified what numbers I was referring to. Under the heading of "interview details" on page 32, it says that 313 IP are invited and 54 OOP are invited for 2021 admissions whereas the McGill website states different numbers. I was initially happier with my chances of getting in OOP but now I'm scared because 54 is pretty steep competition.

14 minutes ago, p12345lu said:

I should have clarified what numbers I was referring to. Under the heading of "interview details" on page 32, it says that 313 IP are invited and 54 OOP are invited for 2021 admissions whereas the McGill website states different numbers. I was initially happier with my chances of getting in OOP but now I'm scared because 54 is pretty steep competition.

Ah yeah thanks for clarifying. I don't think we can know unless someone asks McGill admissions directly. Things can change during the admissions process though, and I can't see any reason why the AFMC document should be more accurate than McGill's own updated information. I also don't see what benefit there would be for McGill to publicly misrepresent the number of interviews they're conducting. I would disregard the AFMC numbers and operate on the basis that there are just 33 other people interviewing for the OOP spots. Good luck!

1 hour ago, p12345lu said:

1 hour ago, Vons said:

Ah yeah thanks for clarifying. I don't think we can know unless someone asks McGill admissions directly. Things can change during the admissions process though, and I can't see any reason why the AFMC document should be more accurate than McGill's own updated information. I also don't see what benefit there would be for McGill to publicly misrepresent the number of interviews they're conducting. I would disregard the AFMC numbers and operate on the basis that there are just 33 other people interviewing for the OOP spots. Good luck!

On p.3 it says the data was collected in July 2020. I would trust the website 

On 2/7/2021 at 4:28 PM, Vons said:

Wow, 1283 QC applicants and 1225 CDN applicants. The average GPA in the QC applicant group invited for an interview has dropped slightly though, so maybe that's a good sign for non-traditional applicants or people with lower GPAs... also last year the mode for those invited for interviews was 4.0, now it's *just* 3.95 lol

Looks like for the QC university cohort there's about a 45% chance of admission after interview all things being equal. It's probably higher once the waitlist is considered - maybe up to 50% if the waitlist moves 20 places this year (but who knows what'll happen). I was wondering if they'd interview a much larger proportion of QC applicants given the recent increase in seats, but it looks like that's not the case. 

But the CDN cohort is just brutal. 2.8% of applicants got an interview this year.

Also, it's not 1283 people who applied. Its 1283 applicants who have been considered by the faculty, based on their GPA + casper. So the real number of applicants is much higher (I dont know exactly, but i think 4000-5000 ?)

5 hours ago, Mikasa said:

Also, it's not 1283 people who applied. Its 1283 applicants who have been considered by the faculty, based on their GPA + casper. So the real number of applicants is much higher (I dont know exactly, but i think 4000-5000 ?)

I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion, especially the estimation of 4000-5000 QC university applicants (even as a total of all applicants across all cohorts I think 4-5k is too high). Last year there were 1035 total applicants in the QC University cohort, of which 76% (~790ish) proceeded to file review. This information is corroborated not only by the statistics they published on their website last year (which is still posted), but also by what was sent out to refused applicants who requested their rank.

3 hours ago, Vons said:

I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion, especially the estimation of 4000-5000 QC university applicants (even as a total of all applicants across all cohorts I think 4-5k is too high). Last year there were 1035 total applicants in the QC University cohort, of which 76% (~790ish) proceeded to file review. This information is corroborated not only by the statistics they published on their website last year (which is still posted), but also by what was sent out to refused applicants who requested their rank.

Its really just a random guess . Because I tried to compare to other Canadians universities. 

And for what I understand, total applicants are those whose files are reviewed. I got that information from a friend, but now that I think about it, maybe its wrong and youre right

The numbers on their website are the total number of applicants. In the refusal letter, they indicated how many of those applicants made it to the second screening phase (this was from last years refusal), which was about 76%. Out of the 76% that advanced, about 33% were invited for an interview. I am assuming it is the same process this year, perhaps with slight changes to the percentages. 

9 hours ago, Mikasa said:

Its really just a random guess . Because I tried to compare to other Canadians universities. 

And for what I understand, total applicants are those whose files are reviewed. I got that information from a friend, but now that I think about it, maybe its wrong and youre right

If the Med-P cohort sees a similar proportional increase in applications this year as the QC University cohort did (idk if that's reasonable or not), then the total applications submitted across all cohorts for the current admissions cycle would be ~3700. But since the requirements and competitiveness between applicant cohorts can vary so much, I'm not sure how useful such a total really is.