Premed 101 Forums

JohnMan

4 minutes ago, neurologist19 said:

I don't think that is a big deal or at least shouldn't be. However, if your interviewers are racist then they might to mark you down because of your foreign accent.

I've been asking/worrying about this for a while and everyone I asked said "they're trained not to do that." I do however believe that many do have some sort of bias against foreign accents. I'll keep stressing about this until May I guess. 

• JohnMan changed the title to Is mispronouncing 2 words in an interview lethal?
1 hour ago, JohnMan said:

I've been asking/worrying about this for a while and everyone I asked said "they're trained not to do that." I do however believe that many do have some sort of bias against foreign accents. I'll keep stressing about this until May I guess. 

I have a foreign accent too and I get it. It is like saying that racism and xenophobia don't exist. It is wishful thinking or plain ignorance. However, I think many of the people on the committee truly believe in those values and try to remain partial. What can we do? We should do our best or hope for the best!

If you want a more accurate opinion, you could share what those two words were. If they are considered day-to-day words, they might have a not so good impression on them but if they are obscure words then you are fine I think.

24 minutes ago, neurologist19 said:

I have a foreign accent too and I get it. It is like saying that racism and xenophobia doesn't exist. It is wishful thinking or plain ignorance. However, I think many of the people on the committee truly believe in those values and try to remain partial. What can we do? We should do our best or hope for the best!

If you want a more accurate opinion, you could share what those two words were. If they are considered day-to-day words, they might have a not so good impression on them but if they are obscure words then you are fine I think.

• JohnMan changed the title to .
8 minutes ago, sorrynotsorry said:

Also I hate being that guy, but if you signed a confidentially agreement, you are not supposed to shared any information related to your interview, and that includes your responses. 

I didn't sign anything. also didn't share anything other than I mispronounced two words. I still removed everything if that's an issue. 

10 minutes ago, M3P0 said:

Yes. Not a single person has ever been accepted to a school after misspeaking in an interview. You're lucky you didn't mispronounce 3 words, your computer catches fire and self-destructs.

Are you a Canadian-born Canadian? Do you understand the struggles and xenophobia that Canadians with ESL or a foreign accent experience? Check your priviledge mate before sending insensitive comments