Premed 101 Forums

Advice Re: MCAT Re-Take

Posting this in the UBC subthread because UBC would be my #1 school should I get multiple acceptances (I doubt it, but one can dream lol)

If I apply next cycle, I'll have a 90ish AGPA (minimum 89.5% locked in the bag right now) at UBC and I'll be eligible to apply at Queens, UofC, UofA (feel semi-okay about these 3), NOSM (don't feel so good), MUN (not sure how to feel), and Mac, UOttawa, and UofT (aka giving these 3 uni's a free donation).

Can't do Dal b/c wasn't full time throughout undergrad, can't do Western (yet) because I don't have two full-time years above 3.7 (might go back and do a 5th year down the line, but feels like a step back in my life to do it right this very second - I have a fantastic full-time job offer starting in May that I cannot pass up (already signed and locked in))

Scored 50th to 75th in ECs this time around with a couple BS entries, would assume that my score stays the same or goes marginally up next cycle with an improved app, but not taking that for granted. Will be filling out rural section of the application.

To open the options of applying to USask and UManitoba (as well as strengthen my UBC app as it is), what are your guys' thoughts on an MCAT re-take?

Original score was a 512 (127/128/126/131). Would need something like a 523 with a 130+ in each section to realistically open up the option of applying to those two schools.

Is that possible whilst working full-time and writing app's this summer?

19 hours ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Posting this in the UBC subthread because UBC would be my #1 school should I get multiple acceptances (I doubt it, but one can dream lol)

If I apply next cycle, I'll have a 90ish AGPA (minimum 89.5% locked in the bag right now) at UBC and I'll be eligible to apply at Queens, UofC, UofA (feel semi-okay about these 3), NOSM (don't feel so good), MUN (not sure how to feel), and Mac, UOttawa, and UofT (aka giving these 3 uni's a free donation).

Can't do Dal b/c wasn't full time throughout undergrad, can't do Western (yet) because I don't have two full-time years above 3.7 (might go back and do a 5th year down the line, but feels like a step back in my life to do it right this very second - I have a fantastic full-time job offer starting in May that I cannot pass up (already signed and locked in))

Scored 50th to 75th in ECs this time around with a couple BS entries, would assume that my score stays the same or goes marginally up next cycle with an improved app, but not taking that for granted. Will be filling out rural section of the application.

To open the options of applying to USask and UManitoba (as well as strengthen my UBC app as it is), what are your guys' thoughts on an MCAT re-take?

Original score was a 512 (127/128/126/131). Would need something like a 523 with a 130+ in each section to realistically open up the option of applying to those two schools.

Is that possible whilst working full-time and writing app's this summer?

Dal changed their requirements, you don't need to be full time. 

Also I will say that a 512 is enough to get an interview at both MUN and DAL (interviewed there as IP but did my MSc at UBC and know OOPs who got in). MUN cares A LOT about ECs, so if you're strong there that's good! Dal asks you to write a maritime connection essay about why you'd want to be there etc. I know for a fact someone got in with a 509 as OOP so it's not out of the question. 

46 minutes ago, Bcbear said:

All other sections aside, do you think you could get your CARS to 130 and feel confident in doing so? I feel like that's the one section that really depends on your ability for it, and tons of studying may not change much

Idk about "confident" but definitely believe in myself being able to get there. CARS always came naturally to me, scored 129 then 132 then 128 on the three AAMC practice tests that I had at the time of studying. Feel like I got slightly unlucky on test day in each section, including CARS (other than Psych), just wasn't in the right mindset for a 515ish (which was my aim)

What's the point you're trying to make though? That I need a higher CARS in your opinion?

26 minutes ago, jmn753 said:

Dal changed their requirements, you don't need to be full time. 

Also I will say that a 512 is enough to get an interview at both MUN and DAL (interviewed there as IP but did my MSc at UBC and know OOPs who got in). MUN cares A LOT about ECs, so if you're strong there that's good! Dal asks you to write a maritime connection essay about why you'd want to be there etc. I know for a fact someone got in with a 509 as OOP so it's not out of the question. 

They did?! I looked literally a month ago...thought I saw that you still need to be full-time. Can you send the link where it says you don't need to be?

Thanks for the encouragement regarding MUN and Dal! Yeah I have heard MUN is really EC-heavy so that would be great for someone like me who is not as strong in the GPA department. Might as well take a punt right? Haha

Just now, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

They did?! I looked literally a month ago...thought I saw that you still need to be full-time. Can you send the link where it says you don't be?

Thanks for the encouragement regarding MUN and Dal! Yeah I have heard MUN is really EC-heavy so that would be great for someone like me who is not as strong in the GPA department. Might as well take a punt right? Haha

It's just updated in the last couple weeks on their main page of requirements!

I did my undergrad at Mun and I just love everything the med school stands for, they truly do take a holistic approach to the applications which I think is great. Totally go for it! :)

Just now, jmn753 said:

It's just updated in the last couple weeks on their main page of requirements!

I did my undergrad at Mun and I just love everything the med school stands for, they truly do take a holistic approach to the applications which I think is great. Totally go for it! :)

Oh wow! It is literally right there smack dab in the middle! So awesome, thank you for letting me know! I would've not even checked again had no one mentioned it to me. Wooooooot more application feeeeeeees

2 minutes ago, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Oh wow! It is literally right there smack dab in the middle! So awesome, thank you for letting me know! I would've not even checked again had no one mentioned it to me. Wooooooot more application feeeeeeees

Luckily, Dal's is like 70$....MUNs is very expensive because not only do you have the 75$ fee, but you have to use CARMS application platform which is like 175$ or something :/ but yay more options!!

Highly recommend applying broadly. I have a few friends from BC who did not get into UBC but got in OOP to Ottawa, MUN, Sask, Queens, U of C, U of A etc. The system is odd and every school has their own values. 

I think your MCAT is solid. If you have the money, time, and drive to rewrite a higher score never hurts. Just keep in mind that some schools take your most recent score, even if it is lower than your previous score. 

I believe USask takes very few OOP so not sure if it is worth it to rewrite just for them. 

Good luck with whatever you decide! 

On 2/8/2021 at 5:54 PM, Excel-erate Your Breath said:

Idk about "confident" but definitely believe in myself being able to get there. CARS always came naturally to me, scored 129 then 132 then 128 on the three AAMC practice tests that I had at the time of studying. Feel like I got slightly unlucky on test day in each section, including CARS (other than Psych), just wasn't in the right mindset for a 515ish (which was my aim)

What's the point you're trying to make though? That I need a higher CARS in your opinion?

Woops my bad - I forgot the order of the scores and thought CARS was the 126!

My point was that studying can get you a 130+ in all the other sections, but 130+ on CARS if it isn't one of your stronger sections to begin with might be difficult to do, and being weaker in CARS can definitely limit the number of schools you can apply to as opposed to the other sections. Being someone who struggled with CARS, I knew where my ceiling was and I wouldn't have bet on myself getting a 130+

16 hours ago, Bcbear said:

Woops my bad - I forgot the order of the scores and thought CARS was the 126!

My point was that studying can get you a 130+ in all the other sections, but 130+ on CARS if it isn't one of your stronger sections to begin with might be difficult to do, and being weaker in CARS can definitely limit the number of schools you can apply to as opposed to the other sections. Being someone who struggled with CARS, I knew where my ceiling was and I wouldn't have bet on myself getting a 130+

Ah yes - fair reasoning for sure. Especially for CARS, where the gap between 132 and 128 is merely a few questions up at that top top level (that's how it feels at least). Good thing to keep in mind for sure

• 1 month later...