Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Timeline for acceptances/rejections?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi guys! current dal med here... just wanted to say, i'm feeling for you all today. (my sister is currently waiting to hear). the wait is brutal. i remember clearly that sinking feeling you get whenev

Stupid emails from every single podiatry school in the US....now is not the time!!

Have a good weekend everyone! See you all back here on Monday...

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, jmn753 said:

admission requirements of canadian faculties of medicine admission in 2021

 

If you search this in Google a PDF will come up and it's on page 15 of the document (It wouldn't let me attach - too big). It's for all interviews.

That's as of last years cycle. I know of individuals who were originally rejected because of the mid-cycle CASPER change but then ended up being interviewed. So maybe the higher numbers will = longer wait?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2021 at 3:22 PM, med1day said:

I’m pretty sure they had more applicants because they lowered the MCAT score for consideration for an interview, but they weeded out additional applicants using a higher casper cut-off. So they didn’t interview more candidates...

This probably isn't the case... I remember browsing on premed canada subreddit a few months ago and according to the email that rejected applicants received back in October, this cycle will have the largest number of applicants to be invited for the interview. This was with the new CASPer cutoff change as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BonJovi said:

This probably isn't the case... I remember browsing on premed canada subreddit a few months ago and according to the email that rejected applicants received back in October, this cycle will have the largest number of applicants to be invited for the interview. This was with the new CASPer cutoff change as well.

Oh wow. Why would they interview more candidates, but not add spots? That’s seems quite counterintuitive. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BonJovi said:

This probably isn't the case... I remember browsing on premed canada subreddit a few months ago and according to the email that rejected applicants received back in October, this cycle will have the largest number of applicants to be invited for the interview. This was with the new CASPer cutoff change as well.

Could you by any chance link this post? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, med1day said:

Oh wow. Why would they interview more candidates, but not add spots? That’s seems quite counterintuitive. 

I am guessing that by interviewing more candidates, they are able to pick the best out of the best? (Although this would probably take a lot longer to review all interviews).

Here is the link to the post.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BonJovi said:

I am guessing that by interviewing more candidates, they are able to pick the best out of the best? (Although this would probably take a lot longer to review all interviews).

Here is the link to the post.

 

 

Ahh I see. So they still won’t exceed the capacity of 384. I think usually it’s around 350 so I wouldn’t stress too much about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, med1day said:

Ahh I see. So they still won’t exceed the capacity of 388. I think usually it’s around 350 so I wouldn’t stress too much about it.

Also, this was to accommodate lower MCAT scores. So Dal is emphasizing casper a bit more and the MCAT a bit less this cycle it seems. So it makes sense that they had more applicants meet cut-offs. Also, more people would’ve been able to interview online technically though not sure if that affected their decision making. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, med1day said:

Also, this was to accommodate lower MCAT scores. So Dal is emphasizing casper a bit more and the MCAT a bit less this cycle it seems. So it makes sense that they had more applicants meet cut-offs. Also, more people would’ve been able to interview online technically though not sure if that affected their decision making. 

It is definitely possible that they decided to interview more candidates since the interviews were virtual. They may not had the capacity to interview as many candidates over 2 days if the interviews were in-person instead (I believe Dal used to complete all their interviews over 1 weekend?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ramjagsingh said:

That's as of last years cycle. I know of individuals who were originally rejected because of the mid-cycle CASPER change but then ended up being interviewed. So maybe the higher numbers will = longer wait?

Do you know whether these were OOP or IP? And what happened to allow them to interview people who were cut-off originally? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BonJovi said:

It is definitely possible that they decided to interview more candidates since the interviews were virtual. They may not had the capacity to interview as many candidates over 2 days if the interviews were in-person instead (I believe Dal used to complete all their interviews over 1 weekend?)

Yes, they did it over 1 weekend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, anonsurfer said:

Does anyone know the specific seat breakdown for each of the maritime provinces? 

124 students annually, with 79 positions for Nova Scotia residents, 30 positions for the New Brunswick residents, 6 positions for PEI residents and 9 positions for Canadian residents outside of the Maritime provinces.  The 30 New Brunswick students participate and receive the medical education curriculum at the Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick Campus in Saint John, NB and the remaining 94 students participate and receive the medical education curriculum at the Dahousie Nova Scotia Campus in Halifax, NS.

 

It slightly varies though

 

2024 Class

  • Total class: 127
  • Nova Scotia: 79
  • New Brunswick: 32
  • Prince Edward Island: 6
  • Saudi (government sponsored program): 0
  • Kuwait (government sponsored program): 1
  • Non-Maritime: 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ramjagsingh said:

124 students annually, with 79 positions for Nova Scotia residents, 30 positions for the New Brunswick residents, 6 positions for PEI residents and 9 positions for Canadian residents outside of the Maritime provinces.  The 30 New Brunswick students participate and receive the medical education curriculum at the Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick Campus in Saint John, NB and the remaining 94 students participate and receive the medical education curriculum at the Dahousie Nova Scotia Campus in Halifax, NS.

 

It slightly varies though

 

2024 Class

  • Total class: 127
  • Nova Scotia: 79
  • New Brunswick: 32
  • Prince Edward Island: 6
  • Saudi (government sponsored program): 0
  • Kuwait (government sponsored program): 1
  • Non-Maritime: 9

I wonder if these numbers reflect how many applicants they get from each province? Like NS must have the most applicants I'm guessing? I'm curious what the breakdown of the 384 interview spots is per applicant category, but I don't think there is any information about that

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, anonsurfer said:

I wonder if these numbers reflect how many applicants they get from each province? Like NS must have the most applicants I'm guessing? I'm curious what the breakdown of the 384 interview spots is per applicant category, but I don't think there is any information about that

There's no information regarding the interview breakdown. That would be kind of cool/nice to be able to gauge your chances. In regards to the breakdown, the in province specific ones are all government funded so they determine how many seats based on how many they pay for kind of thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...