Premed 101 Forums

20 hours ago, garceyues said:

This definitely hurts a lot, I put my all into this app and was playing around with my write ups for months on end :unsure:. Honestly I don't know where to go from here. A few people I know IRL and some generous people from this site helped review my activity write ups to ensure I was putting my best foot forward, so I guess after two cycles of Rs at U of A its safe to say they aren't that strong (very grateful to everyone that helped me though, friends and strangers alike :)). With subpar stats as well I'm not really sure where to go from here or how to improve my app. A second undergrad is such a time consuming and risky investment, and who knows how well I can do on the MCAT between work and all my other activities. I think if I get the R from U of C this might be the end of the road for me as I can't just keep applying and putting the rest of my life on hold with the wages I earn. 

I just wanted to pop on here and tell you that if this is your dream, DO NOT GIVE UP <3 Take some time off, take a year to re-group, but I believe in you. :wub:

A few points, my fine internet homie: 

- Dr. Walker (the past dean of admissions @ U of C) said in some video I watched last summer: "if you've applied 3 years in a row, and have not received an interview, that's when it's time to rework your application". It sounds like you are 2 cycles into this process, and as we all know, it is a process indeed. You're not alone <3 

- Apply to more schools!!! It sounds like you're applying where you're IP, which is U of A & U of C. Last year, I too only applied to 2 schools, and did not get any invites. This year I applied to 5, and so far have 2 invites -- 1 IP, 1 OOP, & waiting on U of C. I'd encourage you to apply elsewhere :) It sounds like you are a solid writer, and your stats are perfectly good for med IMO. Many interview with lower! (I know applying more broadly is easier said than done, but, it can be done!)

- If med is your dream and you don't think you can spend more time applying (which I can imagine is a really tough decision) consider the USA, UK, or Australia! I have a friend who went to the UK, and is now back in Canada practicing as a physician in BC. This route has its own challenges, but at the end of the day, you would still be a doctor. :)

- Sending you virtual hugs because I know how much this sucks. Again, these are just some thoughts, but I honestly hope they help because you sound like a solid applicant and I am rooting for you (come on U of C!!!). Feel free to message me if you ever wanna chat :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

time Stamp: 1:04 Result: AcceptedGPA: 4.0MCAT: 528Current/Past Degree: BSc 04',MSc 06', PhD 09', BEd 11', GDL class 5, forklift license, WHMISGeography (IP/OOP):  IPExtracurricular Activities score /1

I just wanted to pop on here and tell you that if this is your dream, DO NOT GIVE UP <3 Take some time off, take a year to re-group, but I believe in you.  A few points, my fine internet homie:

Posted Images

time Stamp: 3ish
Result:  invite

GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 520 (131/128/131/130)
Current/Past Degree - finishing PhD
Geography (IP/OOP):  OOP
Extracurricular Activities score /16 (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): research heavy multiple publications, conferences and presentations also lots of awards and scholarships to go along with the research. Minimal work experience. Various volunteering at community outreach organizations. Lots of extracurriculars mainly sports. 
CASPer: didn't get a McMaster invite but good enough for mcgill and queens and here so couldn't be to bad

Time Stamp: 1:04pm

Result: Regrets
GPA: 3.42
MCAT: 509, 128 CARS

Current Degree: UG complete 2016, 2nd year masters
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP (I think I qualify as rural)

Extracurricular Activities (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.):    Non traditional applicant,  a lot of diverse work experience in the trades following high school, and worked operating heavy equipment/ semis during summers to pay for school in positions of leadership within the company. Volunteer research work, long term youth group mentor, and volunteering in rehab settings, minor awards, 1 publication, TAing experience.

I got an interview last time I applied 2 years ago, so I was optimistic about this application having more volunteering and research experience. I'm thinking I should write the MCAT again to try to help make up for my low GPA. 

In advance, I hope this encourages the poo out of people, because I have been super hard on myself - although medicine is most definitely my dream I understand my GPA and MCAT is all very below average, so this is my first time applying now that I am finishing my MSc. I LOVE YOU ALL. Keep trying if it didn't work out because if there is hope for me, anyone can do it. For real. I swear they got to randomize these things (I don't want to be-little my life experience however).

time Stamp: 1:04 pm
Result: INVITE:)

GPA: 3.43
MCAT: 492 -> 502 (wrote it in my 3rd year, & wrote it last fall. I wrote all 6 practice exams AAMC also and was scoring between 518-521 so I had a whole new mid life crisis after writing the real exam, knew it went trash. I think I may have come to the conclusion I have testing issues at this point haha)
Current/Past Degree: BSc in Biology, MSc
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP
Extracurricular Activities score /16 (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): I filled out every section. I do think my personal highlights likely stood out, I got pretty personal. However if the rest of the stats don't give anyone out there hope I don't know what will. I WAS ON CLOUD 9 YESTERDAY LET ME TELL Y'ALL.
CASPer: felt ok?

8 minutes ago, nyeaaaaa said:

Did anyone else not receive an invite or a rejection? My launchpad status still says that it is under review, odd. Anyways, congrats to everyone that got an invite!

I got an invite but my Launchpad still says "under review" - I don't think they have updated status there. The invite came to my ualberta.ca email, not through Launchpad.

time Stamp: 1:04PM
Result: Invite!

GPA: 3.71
MCAT: 511 (126/127/126/132)
Current/Past Degree: BA Psych + Bio
Extracurricular Activities score /16 (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): Three years of work in the fitness industry, 2 summers of supervisory work experience, 1+ year working in disability support, 1 summer of paleontology research, years of competing in MMA and rugby, a year of hip hop dance, 50 hours of volunteering on campus
CASPer: Who even knows

1 hour ago, Raisin Bran said:

I don't think it says anything on launchpad for anyone! Did you check your Ualberta email? That's where the invite/reject should be. 

omg lol... I didn't even know I had a Ualberta email... I had gotten messages to my personal email prior to this. What would happen if you didn't tell me? Thanks!

Result: INVITE
GPA: 3.95 
MCAT: 521*
Current/Past Degree: Pharmacy
Geography (IP/OOP): OOP
Extracurriculars: Mostly work experience in healthcare, much of which was rural.

4 minutes ago, j2j2 said:

omg lol... I didn't even know I had a Ualberta email... I had gotten messages to my personal email prior to this. What would happen if you didn't tell me? Thanks!

MCAT: 421
Extracurriculars: Mostly work experience in healthcare, much of which was rural.

Congratulations! Do you mean 521* for your MCAT?

26 minutes ago, j2j2 said:

MCAT: 521*

Haha! So happy you found it. :)

On 2/10/2021 at 4:05 PM, FutureMD7 said:

Did anyone not receive either a rejection or an invite? 

I still haven't received anything. Do they email this to your UAlberta email, or email you registered with them?

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked my UAlberta email. I got an invite!

On 2/8/2021 at 10:38 AM, WizardPalace said:

Wanted to put my info out there for some people who have a low CARS score like me! Do not lose hope! You are more than your reading comp skills!!!

time Stamp: 1:04 MST
Result: Invite

GPA: 3.95 (according to UofA) 
MCAT: 507 (124 CARS!!!)
Current/Past Degree: Current BSc 4th year
Extracurricular Activities score /16 (awards, achievements, volunteering, employment, research, etc.): I put in all 16, I put a lot of volunteer positions I have had in the community, some shadowing and clinical volunteering, all my employment since the age of 15, 2 years of neuro research (no pub & missed conference due to COVID), I spoke a lot about my experiences as an athlete, talked about personal life experiences, and awards I have gotten. I also have had a lot of leadership opportunities through sports and clubs. 
CASPer: Felt mediocre but I guess we’ll never know. I’m assuming that it must have been ok. 

Good luck to everyone interviewing!

21 hours ago, tired123 said:

@starmay I think that may have been the case because I can't find it in my inbox. I sent an e-mail to the IT but I think I will just call them on Monday to access the information faster hopefully :)

I think they’re closed today for family day! just a tip I got that helped me was that the email containing the ccid is from the email address “idadmin@ualberta.ca” 

I’m not sure if that helps, but it helped me locate it in my email abyss. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2021 at 12:04 AM, smolandfeisty said:

I just wanted to pop on here and tell you that if this is your dream, DO NOT GIVE UP <3 Take some time off, take a year to re-group, but I believe in you. :wub:

A few points, my fine internet homie: 

- Dr. Walker (the past dean of admissions @ U of C) said in some video I watched last summer: "if you've applied 3 years in a row, and have not received an interview, that's when it's time to rework your application". It sounds like you are 2 cycles into this process, and as we all know, it is a process indeed. You're not alone <3 

- Apply to more schools!!! It sounds like you're applying where you're IP, which is U of A & U of C. Last year, I too only applied to 2 schools, and did not get any invites. This year I applied to 5, and so far have 2 invites -- 1 IP, 1 OOP, & waiting on U of C. I'd encourage you to apply elsewhere :) It sounds like you are a solid writer, and your stats are perfectly good for med IMO. Many interview with lower! (I know applying more broadly is easier said than done, but, it can be done!)

- If med is your dream and you don't think you can spend more time applying (which I can imagine is a really tough decision) consider the USA, UK, or Australia! I have a friend who went to the UK, and is now back in Canada practicing as a physician in BC. This route has its own challenges, but at the end of the day, you would still be a doctor. :)

- Sending you virtual hugs because I know how much this sucks. Again, these are just some thoughts, but I honestly hope they help because you sound like a solid applicant and I am rooting for you (come on U of C!!!). Feel free to message me if you ever wanna chat :)

Hey, thank you for writing up this heartfelt message! :)I was meaning to reply earlier but somehow it slipped my mind amid the hectic months of February and March.

Dr. Walker and Dr. Panaccione are honestly both so helpful and transparent :wub: You are correct in that this is my second cycle applying, and while I only received 1 interview invite (my first and only one ever!) I recognize that it is a huge privilege and opportunity in itself, and for that I'm grateful. I did end up applying to multiple OOP schools to no avail unfortunately. I frankly think my stats will always be a huge barrier for applying anywhere outside of Alberta, but it is always better to try at minimum. Depending upon how this cycle pans out I may have to look into strengthening my application further. I commend you for your resilience and perseverance. Getting multiple interview invites is no small feat, and you should be proud of that!

Med is definitely my dream, but going abroad for medicine does present its own challenges as you pointed out. I'm not sure if that route is viable for me given the extensive costs and concerns with matching back, but I think I will at least keep American schools in mind (paying tuition doesn't sound fun :lol:).   

Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond! The fact that you were willing to take the time out of your day to reply as you did speaks volumes :) I was definitely quite devasted at the time of making my original comment, but in retrospect I'm just really grateful for having the opportunity to interview at U of C. Sincerely wishing you all the best!!!!