Premed 101 Forums

Post-interview feelings

I don't know.... Had some minor tech issues (mostly lag/bad audio quality) and overall just felt like I was jittery/rambly for a lot of the questions. Not feeling great and can't stop thinking about the questions and things I could have said. Anyone else want to share their feelings or experience? Anyone currently in UBC med want to share how they felt after their interview? This is gonna be a long 3 months...

Felt like garbage after I did mine.

In one station, the interviewer asked me a question and my brain had a complete fart about what one term meant so I asked him to repeat the question 3 times, then on the third time the bell rang and I just sat there in regret. In another, I got super intimidated by the interviewer for some reason and they were quite stone faced so I gave pretty bad and like one sentence responses to a complicated question. Then we just sat there after he had nothing more to ask. Finally, in another station, I spent all 8 minutes on the main question and literally concluded with "I need more info" as the bell rang. 

I really don't know how I got in- I wasn't waitlisted either.

1 hour ago, Ss123toy said:

I don't know.... Had some minor tech issues (mostly lag/bad audio quality) and overall just felt like I was jittery/rambly for a lot of the questions. Not feeling great and can't stop thinking about the questions and things I could have said. Anyone else want to share their feelings or experience? Anyone currently in UBC med want to share how they felt after their interview? This is gonna be a long 3 months...

you have 6 interviews my guy and will likely 1-2 more invites in the next couple days...you can afford to mess up one or two...or 5+..

1 hour ago, struggling2getin said:

Felt like garbage after I did mine.

In one station, the interviewer asked me a question and my brain had a complete fart about what one term meant so I asked him to repeat the question 3 times, then on the third time the bell rang and I just sat there in regret. In another, I got super intimidated by the interviewer for some reason and they were quite stone faced so I gave pretty bad and like one sentence responses to a complicated question. Then we just sat there after he had nothing more to ask. Finally, in another station, I spent all 8 minutes on the main question and literally concluded with "I need more info" as the bell rang. 

I really don't know how I got in- I wasn't waitlisted either.

So just to confirm you got in after feeling it went poorly?

I have read and heard of people with all sorts of interview scores either getting below average, average and above average getting in, waitlisted or rejected. To me the evaluation process is a true mystery. I had two interviews, one I felt went awful (albeit it was my first) and the second a million times better and both were below average. Just had my third and I felt it akin to the second one. I honestly have no idea what that will translate to. 

35 minutes ago, mdpwns1763 said:

So just to confirm you got in after feeling it went poorly?

I have read and heard of people with all sorts of interview scores either getting below average, average and above average getting in, waitlisted or rejected. To me the evaluation process is a true mystery. I had two interviews, one I felt went awful (albeit it was my first) and the second a million times better and both were below average. Just had my third and I felt it akin to the second one. I honestly have no idea what that will translate to. 

Yup. My stats are also quite average for UBC. On the other hand, I thought my UofT interview was my best and got a flat out rejection :)

1 hour ago, ubcstudent said:

Can stats carry you through to an acceptance with a below average interview? I feel that my interview wasn't amazing but I have a 96% gpa and 519 mcat (IP as well).

Hard to know for certain because you don't find out your interview score if you get the acceptance ;)

From personal experience I thought my interview went worse than @struggling2getin and it somehow worked out. I had the same MCAT as you but lower grades. Still not sure how I got in either lol but i'll never truly know. Hard to predict performance too. 

Yeah, I honestly felt that I did OK overall. Had 2-3 stations where I felt I could've done much better. 3-4 OK with. 3-4 I felt really good about. Kept second guessing my performance all the way up to D-day.

EDIT
- I thought I'd add my AQ stats here in case it's relevant for anyone: adjusted grades: ~89-90%. MCAT 512 (126 CARS).

Edited by Pterygoid

21 hours ago, Ss123toy said:

You are not alone. I am killing myself each time I think of the things I should have said. Oh well, I try not to think about it now that it won’t change anything. Good luck! 

22 hours ago, Ss123toy said:

Feeling that way too. I keep overthinking every answer and what I should have added and said differently. It is definitely going to be a long wait till invites get sent out! Wishing everyone good luck!

On 2/9/2021 at 5:32 PM, ubcstudent said:

Can stats carry you through to an acceptance with a below average interview? I feel that my interview wasn't amazing but I have a 96% gpa and 519 mcat (IP as well).

I think you need at least an average interview. I had similar stats my first cycle (94% GPA, 520 MCAT, TFR of 67 and cutoff was 51) and didn't get a spot or wait listed. I really feel like the interview is the major factor used to evaluate you. No one knows for sure but I would think at the very least 50% of your overall score is probably strictly interview.

Last year I felt I did well on the interview, and only had 1 or 2 stations that I would have tweaked my responses on, but even those I felt quite good about. I had no stations that I felt went poorly or even okay-ish. I made the waitlist and was rejected a month or 2 later (an extremely painful, emotionally taxing process to wait, hoping to be accepted in the wave each week). I ended up scoring above average, and had 75th-100th percentile NAQ, and an 85% adjusted GPA (fairly low/average for IP applicants).

I think for me, being a fairly non-traditional applicant, the interview is a huge component of my application, I think I have to absolutely nail it. This year I think I did just as well if not a little better than last, but its very hard to know if I maybe rubbed an interviewer the wrong way, or took a less than optimal approach. Ultimately you just need to try and let it go and relax.

I liked being at home in a comfortable, familiar space for the interview, though the potential of connection issues and delays definitely added a component of stress and anxiety. As a whole, I felt it was not much different than the in-person interviews last year.

3 hours ago, BKin.d said:

I think you need at least an average interview. I had similar stats my first cycle (94% GPA, 520 MCAT, TFR of 67 and cutoff was 51) and didn't get a spot or wait listed. I really feel like the interview is the major factor used to evaluate you. No one knows for sure but I would think at the very least 50% of your overall score is probably strictly interview.

Those stats are quite impressive. I'm assuming you got regrets with a below average interview? How did you feel about your interview for that specific year?

3 hours ago, BKin.d said:

Your stats are outstanding!! What was your interview score? 

2 hours ago, JackSprat said:

Last year I felt I did well on the interview, and only had 1 or 2 stations that I would have tweaked my responses on, but even those I felt quite good about. I had no stations that I felt went poorly or even okay-ish. I made the waitlist and was rejected a month or 2 later (an extremely painful, emotionally taxing process to wait, hoping to be accepted in the wave each week). I ended up scoring above average, and had 75th-100th percentile NAQ, and an 85% adjusted GPA (fairly low/average for IP applicants).

I think for me, being a fairly non-traditional applicant, the interview is a huge component of my application, I think I have to absolutely nail it. This year I think I did just as well if not a little better than last, but its very hard to know if I maybe rubbed an interviewer the wrong way, or took a less than optimal approach. Ultimately you just need to try and let it go and relax.

I liked being at home in a comfortable, familiar space for the interview, though the potential of connection issues and delays definitely added a component of stress and anxiety. As a whole, I felt it was not much different than the in-person interviews last year.

Woah! You have an above average interview, a top notch NAQ and a decent average! These stats deserve an acceptance. Though, what was your MCAT score? And this shows how the post interview review is such a big mystery :(

4 hours ago, ubcstudent said:

Those stats are quite impressive. I'm assuming you got regrets with a below average interview? How did you feel about your interview for that specific year?

3 hours ago, Coviduh19 said:

Your stats are outstanding!! What was your interview score? 

Yeah, regrets with below average interview. I felt OK at the time but it was my first interview so hard to gauge at the time. I didn't think it went all that well but I didn't feel horrible about it. I was optimistic I would still get offered a spot. 

33 minutes ago, BKin.d said:

Yeah, regrets with below average interview. I felt OK at the time but it was my first interview so hard to gauge at the time. I didn't think it went all that well but I didn't feel horrible about it. I was optimistic I would still get offered a spot. 

I know how you feel :(This year is my first interview too and after my interview, I actually have no idea how it went. I know there were some stations that I felt I could have done better, and my acting station was even worse. Unlike you though, my AQ and MCAT score are below average of the accepted applicants (based on 2018/2019 data). So, I really need an above average interview to even get a chance (which I think is very unlikely). :(

14 hours ago, Coviduh19 said:

Woah! You have an above average interview, a top notch NAQ and a decent average! These stats deserve an acceptance. Though, what was your MCAT score? And this shows how the post interview review is such a big mystery :(

My MCAT score was 511 with 126 CARS. I'm fine using that until it expires, although I know I can do better, I just got tired of studying and being stressed about MCAT. Getting on the waitlist was very reassuring, showing that essentially my application is good enough, and I'm hopeful that they'll take me this year assuming this year's interview went as well as I think it did.

It is a huge mystery, and you just need to trust that the right people are getting in. Believe in yourself, continue improving, and try to be content to wait year by year and keep applying. Dig into things you are passionate about or interested in while you have the time before diving into the heavy workload of med school. There really is no wasted time.

For me, not getting in last year (or the previous year, no interview) was obviously right for me in retrospect. I needed to tend to some family issues, and got to read more literature and work on my writing and music and other things that I love. I'm sure there will come a time if I make it into Med when I will wish I was back just working 9-5 with free time to spare on those things.

How did your interviewers seem over zoom? Some of my friends said they got alot of positive feedback (you're doing a great job, you can do this, etc), but none of mine seemed particularly friendly or said stuff like that? I tried to finish my stations with ~5-10 seconds left for pleasantries too. I felt pretty good about my answers overall coming out, and felt like I came off confident (no jittery speech or awkward pauses, etc) but now I'm starting to wonder...

1 hour ago, albertahopeful21 said:

How did your interviewers seem over zoom? Some of my friends said they got alot of positive feedback (you're doing a great job, you can do this, etc), but none of mine seemed particularly friendly or said stuff like that? I tried to finish my stations with ~5-10 seconds left for pleasantries too. I felt pretty good about my answers overall coming out, and felt like I came off confident (no jittery speech or awkward pauses, etc) but now I'm starting to wonder...

Interviewers are encouraged to be generally positive and welcoming, but are not actually supposed to give overt positive or negative feedback. That said, some interviewers, especially I think those from the community who don’t do this kind of thing a tonne or have much experience with MMI, struggle with that. So I would just assume you got interviewers who were more comfortable sticking to the guidelines and not read too much more into it. 

On 2/9/2021 at 5:32 PM, ubcstudent said:

I know someone who received a below average interview and similar stats, and did not get in :( Then again, I'm sure there are a range of levels even within "below average", like there might be high below average, and low below average. So it's super hard to tell

Speaking from last year, I felt pretty good on about half of the stations, so-so on the other half, and pretty terrible on my last station :angry: And yes, the wait is pretty taxing, I thought about the decisions pretty much every day lol, but I also had to juggle school and other ECs at the same time so being busy helps quite a bit :)

It must be harder to keep yourself pre-occupied in COVID but just remember that by virtue of getting an interview, you've already accumulated a LOT of what it takes to be admitted...the pool was so competitive this year! And if it doesn't work out this year, all of those experiences you put in your application + the ones you continued doing this year, will only help to boost your application!!