Premed 101 Forums

Post-interview feelings

I had my interview today and definitely did not feel great afterwards. I had a few technical difficulties at the beginning of three stations, which kind of threw me off. I think I did well in one station, but otherwise felt pretty meh for all the others. One station I definitely bombed, the interviewer was trying to direct me with a few follow up questions, but I just couldn’t come up with anything meaningful! It’s going to be a long 3 month wait. 

I had my MMI today as well. Overall pretty average. I didn't have horriable stations but also didn't have stations that I think I did very well. Most interviewers had stone face so kinda scary to me. Several of them have some connection issues so they occassionly freeze and voice gets cutoff, which definitely influenced my performance. There are MANY stations where we didn't finish the follow-up questions. Hopefully it doesn't hurt if we miss one more two.

5 minutes ago, taelea said:

i felt like my answers lacked depth and was a bit superficial and although i dont think anything went terrible per say I don't think my answers were unique enough... felt like i could only think of points everyone else probably thought of as well ://

Honestly I don't know how we can provide uniqure answers to the questions this year. I feel like using the questions this year is hard to distinugish one student from another. Feel like a lot of people will say the same thing...

29 minutes ago, MadSchool said:

Honestly I don't know how we can provide uniqure answers to the questions this year. I feel like using the questions this year is hard to distinugish one student from another. Feel like a lot of people will say the same thing...

I totally agree!! Struggled to put in personal stories or give creative answers.

1 hour ago, MadSchool said:

I had my MMI today as well. Overall pretty average. I didn't have horriable stations but also didn't have stations that I think I did very well. Most interviewers had stone face so kinda scary to me. Several of them have some connection issues so they occassionly freeze and voice gets cutoff, which definitely influenced my performance. There are MANY stations where we didn't finish the follow-up questions. Hopefully it doesn't hurt if we miss one more two.

I was wondering if this was a problem with my wifi but I've never had any issues zooming before and my internet speed is quite good so I wonder if it was on the interviewers' end or if it was the interface? I had to ask many interviewers to repeat their f/ups and noticed a lot of lag/freezing/audio issues.

4 minutes ago, Ss123toy said:

I was wondering if this was a problem with my wifi but I've never had any issues zooming before and my internet speed is quite good so I wonder if it was on the interviewers' end or if it was the interface? I had to ask many interviewers to repeat their f/ups and noticed a lot of lag/freezing/audio issues.

I know for sure it was not my problem. Most of interviewers are fine, just 2-3 they had freezing issues. I guess its just certain interviewers had bad internet...

19 hours ago, MadSchool said:

what did u mean by not finishing follow-up questions? Like you're supposed to answer all of the follow-up questions they have in mind or just finishing half-way through a follow-up? 

44 minutes ago, Bumblegum said:

Idk if anyone else felt this but I answered one or two follow ups and then they’d begin asking a third question with like 15 sec left not giving me any time to answer?

This def happened to me, so I got cut off halfway by the system. It was an awkward ending...

On 2/14/2021 at 1:11 PM, Bumblegum said:

Idk if anyone else felt this but I answered one or two follow ups and then they’d begin asking a third question with like 15 sec left not giving me any time to answer?

I thought that is really weird too. How are we supposed to do in that situation? Are they expecting us to get cut off or are we supposed to just pause idk.

50 minutes ago, Idontknowanymore said:

I thought that is really weird too. How are we supposed to do in that situation? Are they expecting us to get cut off or are we supposed to just pause idk.

Yeah it was very strange because I felt I had great timing, we went thru two follow up Qs and was about to wrap it up when they interject and ask something else when I have just over 10 seconds left. It almost seemed as if they didn’t know how much time was left??

4 hours ago, Raisin Bran said:

Interesting! I actually had the opposite experience - I asked an interviewer at about 30 seconds left if they had any further follow up questions and they just told me that it wouldn't be fair to ask me another question at that point because I wouldn't have enough time to answer.

Yeah I mean I hope that it doesn’t dock too many marks but I guess we’ll see ahahah

On 2/9/2021 at 5:32 PM, ubcstudent said:

Can stats carry you through to an acceptance with a below average interview? I feel that my interview wasn't amazing but I have a 96% gpa and 519 mcat (IP as well).

It is hard to know for certain as the people who get in do not know their stats. I have heard of people being rejected off the waitlist with Below Average Interviews. If those individuals are being waitlisted I wonder if people are getting in with below average interviews. Also after speaking to many med students in many years, it seems like some people do get in with fairly poor interviews. The interview doesn't seem to totally make or break anyone, as demonstrated by the individuals who get rejected with above average interviews. 

The feedback applicants get is Below Average, Average, or Above Average but there could be a lot more to it than that. It may be a scale of 1-10. 

We can wonder all day and we will probably never know. I do think the results of people waitlisted and then rejected are quite telling though. 

I felt pretty good and I loved that I didn’t have to travel 1000 km and spend $1000 plus dollars! It was enjoyable online, surprisingly. Who knows though - my last few interviews were below average so I don’t think it’s likely to change much this year :) I felt slightly more confident and organized though...hopefully it helps!

best of luck everyone!

8 hours ago, Muffincups said:

I felt pretty good and I loved that I didn’t have to travel 1000 km and spend $1000 plus dollars! It was enjoyable online, surprisingly. Who knows though - my last few interviews were below average so I don’t think it’s likely to change much this year :) I felt slightly more confident and organized though...hopefully it helps!

best of luck everyone!

I do think that virtual is great for people who live far away since it can save you guys tons of money :) And yes, good luck to everyone! Hoping that the luck will be on our side this round.