Premed 101 Forums

exceptional circumstances & rural only interview

Hi all!

Does anyone know how UBC takes the "exceptional circumstances" section of our initial application into account when making post-interview decisions? Also what types of challenges is considered to be "exceptional"? For those who received a rural only interview invite does that put you at a disadvantage since you are only competing for 44 seats? and if so, how many people usually get these rural only invites?

Thanks and good luck everyone :)) 

9 minutes ago, taelea said:

Hi all!

Does anyone know how UBC takes the "exceptional circumstances" section of our initial application into account when making post-interview decisions? Also what types of challenges is considered to be "exceptional"?

No one knows, it’s confidential. I am sure the definition of exceptional is fairly broad and could be applied on a case to case basis depending on what you say the issue was, how it impacted you, etc.  

5 hours ago, taelea said:

Hi all!

Does anyone know how UBC takes the "exceptional circumstances" section of our initial application into account when making post-interview decisions? Also what types of challenges is considered to be "exceptional"? For those who received a rural only interview invite does that put you at a disadvantage since you are only competing for 44 seats? and if so, how many people usually get these rural only invites?

Thanks and good luck everyone :)) 

Just out of curiousity, does UBC have a separate rural applicant pool? Do they consider all applicants that filled out the rural suitability section of the application as potential candidates for rural seats? 

15 minutes ago, Coviduh19 said:

Just out of curiousity, does UBC have a separate rural applicant pool? Do they consider all applicants that filled out the rural suitability section of the application as potential candidates for rural seats? 

Anyone who fills out the rural suitability section is a potential candidate for a rural seat in my understanding. However, unless you’re told you’re only being consider for a rural seat (because you don’t otherwise meet the cutoffs), you would also be eligible for any regular seat.

28 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

Anyone who fills out the rural suitability section is a potential candidate for a rural seat in my understanding. However, unless you’re told you’re only being consider for a rural seat (because you don’t otherwise meet the cutoffs), you would also be eligible for any regular seat.

That’s actually pretty interesting! That’s actually nice for UBC to invite candidates just for rural seats! It’s definitely a great way to increase the number of physicians in rural communities. Also, I wish I could apply for it too (as I’m interested in rural health), but I have zero rural connections :( Although, If EVER I get in this year, I would love to get involved with rural health. 

On 2/10/2021 at 10:06 PM, Coviduh19 said:

That’s actually pretty interesting! That’s actually nice for UBC to invite candidates just for rural seats! It’s definitely a great way to increase the number of physicians in rural communities. Also, I wish I could apply for it too (as I’m interested in rural health), but I have zero rural connections :( Although, If EVER I get in this year, I would love to get involved with rural health. 

I thought you could apply to it if you have rural connections or rural interest?