Premed 101 Forums

Interview Format?

Does anyone know what the format will be like this year? In the past U of A used to have MMIs but last year they had panel interviews (due to the last minute switch to virtual?). I couldn't find anything on their website and the invitation email didn't provide any information. The amount of time allotted for the interview is very long so perhaps that hints towards an MMI format or perhaps a mix of both? Any information would be appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone looked into this further? I don't want to be annoying and spam the admissions committee as I'm sure they are busy, and they said they'll let us know. At the same time, I'm curious as I am trying to prepare. My interview slot is from 11-1:45, so I'm trying to conjure up what those 2.75 hours may look like. Any guesses?

10 hours ago, Raisin Bran said:

Interestingly... the afmc document (pg 58) claims they will be mmi & panel in March 2021... though I don’t know if this is just copied from previous years or if it’s been confirmed form admissions. 

https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2021_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

Thank you. I suspected that it may be a combination of both, but 2 hours and 45 minutes is a lot of time for MMI and panel, considering there are 500+ of us, and we won't be at the school to receive a tour.

5 hours ago, P1234 said:

From the U of A Website:

Format

A combination of traditional interview questions and MMI questions will be used.

An MMI-type question takes the following format: Applicants will have two minutes to read the question, followed by six minutes to answer. The interviewer might ask prompting or follow-up questions. After the allotted time is complete, the interviewer will move on to the next question.

The questions will assess applicants in the following areas:

• communication
  • teamwork
  • reflection
  • conflict resolution
  • empathy
  • responsibility
  • initiative
  • problem-solving ability
  • prioritization
  • organization

Preparation for MMI type questions

Do an internet search for sample questions and tips on how to prepare for an MMI. Practice answering questions with someone to become familiar with the timing involved (remember you will have two minutes to prepare and six minutes to answer). You will be permitted to have scrap paper to make notes and to refer to during your question. You will be informed if prompting questions are available which might help you consider all the options. You will not be penalized if you ask, use, or don't use any prompting questions. Be yourself and answer as best you can.

Sample Question
You are on the way to the airport to catch a flight to Mexico. Your cousin is getting married on the beach tomorrow, and your entire family is already there - unfortunately you had a prior commitment and couldn't go on the same flight with your family. You are running late because you couldn't find the charger for your cell phone. You are en route to the airport and you get a flat tire on the highway. Your cell phone is dead, you don't have a roadside assistance membership, and you are afraid you are going to miss your flight. What do you do?

Technical requirements. Since all interviews will occur via the internet, applicants will be required to have access to a computer with webcam, microphone, speakers and a reliable internet connection.

Hi! I believe this is for the Medical Laboratory Science Program and not the MD Program.  I still think we are awaiting an official word from admissions as to the format of interviews this year but I imagine it could be similar to this.

Yes my apologies you are totally right, that info is from the Med/Lab Program. I did however call to clarify because interviewers were told it is a mix of both panel and MMI this year and this was confirmed by the MD Admissions office, hopefully that helps with your preparations!