Premed 101 Forums

Engineering undergrad/ESL/IT professional looking for some advice?

So I came across premed 101 after the idea of becoming a doctor budded and thanks for all the inspiration and sharing of experience. 

A bit of context:

I came to Canada as international student, did my undergrad at U of A (Chemical Engineering) and graduated in 2016. Back then I didn't think about med school because of my international status and language barrier, but I always carried interest in biology/life sciences and completed most of the prereqs while I was in university. After that I pivoted in my career and started working as a software engineer until now, and became a resident of Canada. It's been a good career so far, the company is on an upward trend (AMD) and the compensation isn't bad. But human body has always fascinated me, and I think I would enjoy a career that involves both intellectual and hands-on challenge more. 

That being said, I understand how insanely competitive med schools are in NA. 

My current stat:

GPA:  1st 3.8 2nd 3.8 3rd 3.5 4th: 3.7 with some courses I took in spring term. Averages around 3.7 depending school.

MCAT: thinking about taking later this year

EC: not much medical related, I started a student radio group to produce and broadcast radio content in my cultural community and I learnt skiing from scratch after I came to Canada, even worked as ski instructor part timely later! Other than that nothing long term or medical related.

Despite all the stories I read, I feel I would like to give it a try. I would need work on every area and if I really want to get serious about it, I need a strategy.

This is what I'm thinking now:

The GPA honestly isn't terrible for a demanding engineering program but it is obviously not competitive.  But I am not planning to take a second undergrad. 

Currently I am thinking about applying for grad school, specifically looking at the Biomedical Informatics program at Queens, since I know a few ppl took that as a stepping stone for their med school journey. The field also interests me. Anyone with any insight on that?

I would be starting to look for clinical volunteer once COVID eases, and I think I could maybe use my language ability for a role like a medical interpreter?

Meanwhile I'll start preparing for my MCAT and aim to give it a shot by the end of this year. 

Language wise there is no quick solution to improve but I will try improve my communication and writing as much as possible. 

I am open to both US/CA schools but probably not further away. I aspire to be a surgeon if I do magically get into the field.

Turning 27 this year. I know it is eventually up to myself how much I want to put into this, but I need some of your wisdom on is my GPA realistic/would grad school be a good idea/what should I do to get some clinical experience/how did you prepare to overcome the ESL disadvantage?