Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2021 Interviews--DISCUSSIONS

11 minutes ago, bread said:

I heard back from the first program today and it was a no. I know that rationally it’s likely just the process and having lots of very qualified applicants, but because it’s the first one I’ve heard from, I’m now worrying that something was wrong with one of my references or I did poorly on the Casper or something else. I thought my personal letter for that program was really strong. Ugh

I’m sorry! Sometimes it’s hard to tell what happened but listen you’re still a good strong applicant. Hold out for the others! Hopefully some good news your way soon!

7 minutes ago, cookie_m said:

Don't mean to be annoying but does the new bolding of the specialty in the Invitations section make it harder to see what program is sending out invitations?

I think the person did it to separate specialties. In general I find it hard anyways at this point to see things anyway because there are so many haha! Maybe we could just create some spaces between categories? 

5 minutes ago, bread said:

Thank you for the kind words! I hope you get lots of good news in the coming days too :)

I wish you all the best. Try to keep in mind that this entire waiting game is an emotional rollercoaster of a process that you have no choice but to go through. Not every day will be filled with positive news, but you will have those exciting moments come to you! You just gotta try to keep your head up and not let every rejection define who you are, especially if they come from a school that you don't attend. Believe in your own worth and don't let this knock you down.

1 hour ago, bread said:

I heard back from the first program today and it was a no. I know that rationally it’s likely just the process and having lots of very qualified applicants, but because it’s the first one I’ve heard from, I’m now worrying that something was wrong with one of my references or I did poorly on the Casper or something else. I thought my personal letter for that program was really strong. Ugh

In the same boat! Sorry to hear that, it is disheartening and it does make you second guess if there was anything in your application was messing, but it could be anything - if another reviewer read your app, maybe the outcome would be different - there's so much randomness in this process! It's hard but try to focus on all the interviews you have/will get and rock those, you got this! 

2 minutes ago, anotheranon said:

every time i check the forum before carms sends the status update email i get a heart attack...esp for psych where it seems like no email means no invite! that delay between status update and actual email is too long

100 percent! God, I just went to hell and back with that one LOL

2 minutes ago, anotheranon said:

every time i check the forum before carms sends the status update email i get a heart attack...esp for psych where it seems like no email means no invite! that delay between status update and actual email is too long

Hmm...yeah have a lot of people heard from Dal Psych. I'm assuming no news is bad news at this point...

4 hours ago, CaRMS2021 said:

In the US programs paid for food delivery for pre interview socials so let's see if Canadians are as generous

I've gotten a couple of emails with questions about dietary restrictions, or asking to confirm my address/phone number.

I am not sure which schools/specialties will be going for it, but I can say that some Canadian programs are into it.

1 hour ago, NoMatchNoProblem said:

I wish you all the best. Try to keep in mind that this entire waiting game is an emotional rollercoaster of a process that you have no choice but to go through. Not every day will be filled with positive news, but you will have those exciting moments come to you! You just gotta try to keep your head up and not let every rejection define who you are, especially if they come from a school that you don't attend. Believe in your own worth and don't let this knock you down.

54 minutes ago, chateau22 said:

In the same boat! Sorry to hear that, it is disheartening and it does make you second guess if there was anything in your application was messing, but it could be anything - if another reviewer read your app, maybe the outcome would be different - there's so much randomness in this process! It's hard but try to focus on all the interviews you have/will get and rock those, you got this! 

Thank you both! You guys are the best. It certainly is a roller coaster of a process, and I’m excited to keep hearing back. @chateau22, sorry to hear you’re in the same boat! I think you’re very right about the fact that there are soooo many potential reasons for a rejection. I think we might hear back from more tomorrow, so my fingers are crossed tight for us. You’re going to rock your interviews too. We’ve got this! :)

4 hours ago, CaRMS2021 said:

In the US programs paid for food delivery for pre interview socials so let's see if Canadians are as generous

Some do, just like in the beforetimes some programs would have an open bar social at a club, and some would have one a at a tea house. Some of these places confirming addresses are going to send you information packages you would have received during in-person interviews, probably along with some swag. You shouldn't compare Canada to the states though, because the number of programs in the US means that they are competing for top applicants, and so usually are better at wining and dining. It's similar to medical school, where they would invite accepted applicants back for an expense paid weekend "second look" to learn more about the program and connect with current students/faculty/other potential matriculants, and do social events.

19 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

Asking for a friend - for Udem Peds did you receive an email or carms update? Thanks!

17 minutes ago, NoMatchNoProblem said:

I would also like to know the answer for this question as 2 of my friends have also been waiting !

It came through in an email! Probably many, many more still rolling out. =)