Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2021 Interviews--DISCUSSIONS

9 minutes ago, yup said:

Do you know how to go about requesting to see your reference letters or Casper report? Wasn't able to find this info on the website. 

You just need to ask. Apparently it's only an option after the entire match ends (2nd iteration and post match process)

1 minute ago, CaRMS2021 said:

You just need to ask. Apparently it's only an option after the entire match ends (2nd iteration and post match process)

incorrect. it's available between 30-60 days after you ask. it's a legal requirement for them to provide you your proprietary information. you can ask anytime. legally speaking they are supposed to provide you with everything within 30 days however they can extend this to double the time in extenuating circumstances (i.e. too many requests and what not)

1 minute ago, bellejolie said:

incorrect. it's available between 30-60 days after you ask. it's a legal requirement for them to provide you your proprietary information. you can ask anytime. legally speaking they are supposed to provide you with everything within 30 days however they can extend this to double the time in extenuating circumstances (i.e. too many requests and what not)

is this only if you go unmatched?

29 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

Will they notify your reference writers / CASPER people? I've never heard of this, can't imagine that it is encouraged...

9 minutes ago, MedZZZ said:

How many interviews are good enough to feel safe? I know it sounds like a stupid question but I just had a really tough day with all the rejections today from a two specialties that are supposed to be not so competitive :(

UBC is offering extra practice support to their students with five or fewer interviews. . .so that may be a rough cut off? Probably depends a lot on the size of programs you’re applying to though. Five interviews for large family / IM programs probably quite different from five interviews for programs with only a handful of spots, etc. 

2 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

UBC is offering extra practice support to their students with five or fewer interviews. . .so that may be a rough cut off? Probably depends a lot on the size of programs you’re applying to though. Five interviews for large family / IM programs probably quite different from five interviews for programs with only a handful of spots, etc. 

Go UBC.

10 minutes ago, interestedinrads said:

Will they notify your reference writers / CASPER people? I've never heard of this, can't imagine that it is encouraged...

nope! clarified this with them. no one is notified. the information belongs to you - it's according to the PIPEDA act. you have ownership of your data. 

16 minutes ago, MedZZZ said:

two specialties that are supposed to be not so competitive :(

I think we can erase the notion of specialties being not competitive (unless its something random like MedMicro or Genetics I suppose). There are competitive locations and competitive specialties, going for either one will make it bad. Going for both is a straight up disaster. 

By that I mean even things like IM and FM in competitive locations are heating up. Every specialty is becoming more competitive year after year. It's the arms race. 

28 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

nope! clarified this with them. no one is notified. the information belongs to you - it's according to the PIPEDA act. you have ownership of your data. 

So to clarify, can I ask CaRMS to see the submitted reference letters now, or should I wait until the match is over?

8 minutes ago, AAAmeds said:

So to clarify, can I ask CaRMS to see the submitted reference letters now, or should I wait until the match is over?

you can literally ask any time you want depending on you. they have to give you your documents within 30 days barring any extenuating circumstances, so likely it'll be within 60 days. considering the match is april 20th and second iteration starts in less than 60 days, i'd recommend asking now. 

10 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

you can literally ask any time you want depending on you. they have to give you your documents within 30 days barring any extenuating circumstances, so likely it'll be within 60 days. considering the match is april 20th and second iteration starts in less than 60 days, i'd recommend asking now. 

Lmaooooo so I emailed and they replied saying they got a large volume of these requests today. Me to me: hmm gee I wonder why ... 

10 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

If we see the letters now, then are we still able to select from these letters for the second iteration, if need be?

1 minute ago, bellejolie said:

Yup! You can also add new documents if you find your letters weren’t that great but gives you the flexibility to choose 

I thought this would defeat the purpose though. The whole point of selecting letters was that you would choose based on your gut reaction as opposed to seeing the content and choosing the strongest ones for the second iteration. I am afraid if we see them, they would force us to submit new "unseen" letters for the second iteration.

1 minute ago, AAAmeds said:

I thought this would defeat the purpose though. The whole point of selecting letters was that you would choose based on your gut reaction as opposed to seeing the content and choosing the strongest ones for the second iteration. I am afraid if we see them, they would force us to submit new "unseen" letters for the second iteration.

I mean it’s up to you however you choose to use the information. If your letters are pretty average it may give you insight as to why you weren’t selected for interview/don’t match. Then you could potentially ask new referees to submit letters that may be stronger (and again it’s your information so you can ask to see those too). If you’d rather not know then don’t ask! It’s a personal decision.