Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2021 Interviews--DISCUSSIONS

16 minutes ago, MedZZZ said:

Had anyone any luck getting interviews from waitlist? I just don't see the point of waitlist given that the interviews are all virtual :(

I've been waitlisted at 2 schools, and had one waitlist turn into a rejection today :( But I've heard of people getting offers from the waitlist this year, so until it's a no, I don't think you're out!  I'm really hoping my remaining waitlist turns into an offer because it was one of my top choices.  Fingers crossed for you too!

Hi all,

This year has definitely been a strange one with all of us being unable to do away rotations.
One question I had (and I am sure many others as well) is how the interview offers played out depending on how many weeks we spent in the desired specialty, as well as depending on our home region. I've gone ahead and created a google docs spreadsheet to try and see if we can get an idea on how interviews played out. Feel free to add more columns and tabs for your specialties--I started it off with ortho.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1di2AaZRpXQ9XIvLDaNEQEUvR-8eEcOdVutyoxCjW7_E/edit?usp=sharing

The format is such that it should retain anonymity. Schools are separated into regions rather than specific schools.
Obviously this is an imperfect method as most students are probably not using this forum, but maybe as it gets filled in more we can share it with our respective student groups and get a better idea of how interviews were handed out!

Best of luck to everyone! We'll get through this!

1 hour ago, carms2021spreadsheet said:

Hi all,

This year has definitely been a strange one with all of us being unable to do away rotations.
One question I had (and I am sure many others as well) is how the interview offers played out depending on how many weeks we spent in the desired specialty, as well as depending on our home region. I've gone ahead and created a google docs spreadsheet to try and see if we can get an idea on how interviews played out. Feel free to add more columns and tabs for your specialties--I started it off with ortho.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1di2AaZRpXQ9XIvLDaNEQEUvR-8eEcOdVutyoxCjW7_E/edit?usp=sharing

The format is such that it should retain anonymity. Schools are separated into regions rather than specific schools.
Obviously this is an imperfect method as most students are probably not using this forum, but maybe as it gets filled in more we can share it with our respective student groups and get a better idea of how interviews were handed out!

this is super interesting - for those of you who got 10+ interviews, are you going to all of them? has anyone yet given up an interview?

1 hour ago, carms2021spreadsheet said:

Hi all,

Response bias is nuts lol

Someone asked me in a PM about stats about which choice program on their rank list people match to. Carms publishes by school of graduation and totals. The below data is just CMGs:

Total proportion of what rank on their list people end up at:

pNgdrWg.png

As you can see 56% of all CMGs match to their top choice, and 78% match in their top 3.

Breaking down by medical schools:

jHRm9I8.png

All schools are essentially the same except for NOSM. Hard to pick up trends in this data, as is a function of where people apply as much as anything.

Unfortunately, CaRMS does not have data which breaks down where people match on their list within specialties, so cannot compare FM vs IM vs Ortho for instance.

17 minutes ago, bearded frog said:

Someone asked me in a PM about stats about which choice program on their rank list people match to. Carms publishes by school of graduation and totals. The below data is just CMGs:

pNgdrWg.png

As you can see 56% of all CMGs match to their top choice, and 78% match in their top 3.

jHRm9I8.png

All schools are essentially the same except for NOSM. Hard to pick up trends in this data, as is a function of where people apply as much as anything.

Unfortunately, CaRMS does not have data which breaks down where people match on their list within specialties, so cannot compare FM vs IM vs Ortho for instance.

Scary :(

19 minutes ago, bearded frog said:

pNgdrWg.png

jHRm9I8.png

Another piece of data that helps to understand the situation with ranking and matching is this one:

image.thumb.png.1f65c8b7d0fed894bb05bd56bceb26fe.png

I wonder if it's skewed by FM applicants who have longer ranking lists. I assume each site of a large FM program would count as a separate item on the rank list? 

1 minute ago, corona_with_lyme said:

Another piece of data that helps to understand the situation with ranking and matching is this one:

image.thumb.png.1f65c8b7d0fed894bb05bd56bceb26fe.png

I wonder if it's skewed by FM applicants who have longer ranking lists. I assume each site of a large FM program would count as a separate item on the rank list? 

Good point - for example UBC has 19 FM sites, and for someone who wants to go there, they could get their 18th choice but still match to their top school

Just now, chateau22 said:

Good point - for example UBC has 19 FM sites, and for someone who wants to go there, they could get their 18th choice but still match to their top school

Yes but generally from what I’ve heard fam med applicants apply to less overall programs and focus more on location (I don’t have the data to confirm this but based on about 10 people I know just applying to fam med this seems to be the trend).