Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2021 Interviews--DISCUSSIONS

31 minutes ago, chateau22 said:

Does anyone know how FM interviews are weighted for various programs? I'd assume at least 50% but UBC is the only one that explicitiy gives a weight

UBC is transparent - 80% interview and 20% file review

I dont think there is any specific location to find this other than program descriptions. McMaster specifically says in their description that its 50% interview and 50% file review score. Really dependent on the school, which unless it's on the program description, I doubt we'll be able to figure out

24 minutes ago, chateau22 said:

Good point - for example UBC has 19 FM sites, and for someone who wants to go there, they could get their 18th choice but still match to their top school

Except for UBC you rank each site separately, so in these analyses I believe if you match to 18th choice it’s still considered 18th choice. If you’re in that boat, matching to the ‘top school’ probably isn’t that meaningful for a lot of people. The sites aren’t really that equivalent, which is why it’s a separate rank list in the first place.

1 hour ago, bearded frog said:

Someone asked me in a PM about stats about which choice program on their rank list people match to. Carms publishes by school of graduation and totals. The below data is just CMGs:

Total proportion of what rank on their list people end up at:

pNgdrWg.png

As you can see 56% of all CMGs match to their top choice, and 78% match in their top 3.

Breaking down by medical schools:

jHRm9I8.png

All schools are essentially the same except for NOSM. Hard to pick up trends in this data, as is a function of where people apply as much as anything.

Unfortunately, CaRMS does not have data which breaks down where people match on their list within specialties, so cannot compare FM vs IM vs Ortho for instance.

Does it say anywhere if this data is based on ranked list according to site (as other people have brought up, UBC with its 19 sites for FM), or does "choice" mean School + Specialty (i.e., if you wanted UBC family as your first choice, matching to any of the sites would be considered "first choice")? I'm assuming the former but definitely changes the interpretation of the data.

15 minutes ago, jehube said:

Does it say anywhere if this data is based on ranked list according to site (as other people have brought up, UBC with its 19 sites for FM), or does "choice" mean School + Specialty (i.e., if you wanted UBC family as your first choice, matching to any of the sites would be considered "first choice")? I'm assuming the former but definitely changes the interpretation of the data.

There’s a similar chart in this year’s CFMS matchbook: https://www.cfms.org/files/matchbook/Matchbook_ENG_2020-2021.pdf

My understanding is that this is based on the rank list, not school + specialty. 

1 hour ago, jehube said:

It's from Table 15 of the 2020 CaRMS data, and its specifically the CaRMS ranking, so if the program has individual CaRMS applications/ranking for each site (UBC) it includes that, but if you apply to just the program and the site assignment is separate after you match (UofT) its just one "rank".

Home stretch!! I'm sure mostly everyone has heard by now though!

Good luck to everyone on your interviews!!

To those who didn't hear from programs they were hoping to, chin up.  This was an exceptionally strange year for CaRMS and regardless of their decision you're wonderful applicants and will do amazing in your careers!  :wub:

7 minutes ago, TorontoTrot said:

On the Queen's IM waitlist, they've said they may reach out up to March 24th (last day of IMG interviews for Queen's)

That's torture!! Fingers crossed for all the waitlist individuals. I'm still waiting to hear back from Western IMG - ready for this wait to be over!

1 minute ago, Let it be MATCHical said:

Home stretch!! I'm sure mostly everyone has heard by now though!

Good luck to everyone on your interviews!!

To those who didn't hear from programs they were hoping to, chin up.  This was an exceptionally strange year for CaRMS and regardless of their decision you're wonderful applicants and will do amazing in your careers!  :wub:

Thanks for this! :wub: I got interviews for <25% of the programs I applied for in one specialty, so definitely feeling a bit down and wondering what happened. Hugs to those of you in the same boat :)

4 minutes ago, bread said:

Thanks for this! :wub: I got interviews for <25% of the programs I applied for in one specialty, so definitely feeling a bit down and wondering what happened. Hugs to those of you in the same boat :)

I'm sorry to hear that... those red x's really have a way of making a person feel like poop haha!  But you still have some options and just go and kill the interviews you did get!  You'll be awesome and the program will be lucky to have yah!! You got this!!

5 minutes ago, Let it be MATCHical said:

I'm sorry to hear that... those red x's really have a way of making a person feel like poop haha!  But you still have some options and just go and kill the interviews you did get!  You'll be awesome and the program will be lucky to have yah!! You got this!!

Thank you for the kind words <3 best of luck with your interviews too! We’ve got this! 

6 minutes ago, Let it be MATCHical said:

I'm out of likes for the day, but likes to all of these posts! It's a crazy numbers games and is no reflection of the amazing person you are! Those red x's are awful, but positive everyone is going to do great on the interviews they got!!