Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2021 Interviews--DISCUSSIONS

19 minutes ago, ArthurMcArthur said:

Me too! I'm having nightmares of missing out on interviews because I didn't see them in time

Noooo they’ll always ensure to accommodate you as much as possible. Fear not and definitely get those extra hours of sleep if you can. We have to remember the stats - 90%+ will match!!! And most to first choice specialty. So let the odds forever be in our favour. 

3 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

Noooo they’ll always ensure to accommodate you as much as possible. Fear not and definitely get those extra hours of sleep if you can. We have to remember the stats - 90%+ will match to first choice specialty. So let the odds forever be in our favour. 

I'm an IMG applying to Neuro :unsure: I keep checking my spam multiple times as well in case I missed. With how competitive it is, I'm worried I might not even get an invite

40 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

apparently UBC fam med is also coming out today/tomorrow - was told this was said on one of their info sessions this week. so happy we are all in this together and im not the only one with a pit of nerves in my stomach on the daily. in other good news - im done clerkship on saturday! 

Oh really!? For CMGs?? I'm so nervous, I haven't gotten anything from UBC FM yet T_T!

PS: Congrats for finishing clerkship!

15 minutes ago, ArthurMcArthur said:

I'm an IMG applying to Neuro :unsure: I keep checking my spam multiple times as well in case I missed. With how competitive it is, I'm worried I might not even get an invite

Oh no I imagine this is really tough - did you apply to family? I wish you all the best!

9 minutes ago, Butterfly_ said:

Oh really!? For CMGs?? I'm so nervous, I haven't gotten anything from UBC FM yet T_T!

PS: Congrats for finishing clerkship!

Yes for CMGs apparently. And me neither! Fingers crossed tonight so I’ll be able to sleep haha. And thank you! I will have some wine or champagne regardless. It’s a milestone after all. 

1 minute ago, bellejolie said:

Oh no I imagine this is really tough - did you apply to family? I wish you all the best!

Yes for CMGs apparently. And me neither! Fingers crossed tonight so I’ll be able to sleep haha. And thank you! I will have some wine or champagne regardless. It’s a milestone after all. 

Thank you, I did apply to FM in BC since they don't have Neuro spots for IMGs. I hope we get the FM invites! All the best!

Interview red Xs have definitely started going out. What a wonderful feeling when you've worked so hard for years and you get an X just notifying you that they'd rather never spend a second more of their life, even if it's a few minutes of zoom time,  getting to know you, and you are left with no idea where you went wrong. Anyone else out there feeling like the last several years of hard work really meant nothing, I feel you immensely.

4 minutes ago, Juno said:

Interview red Xs have definitely started going out. What a wonderful feeling when you've worked so hard for years and you get an X just notifying you that they'd rather never spend a second more of their life, even if it's a few minutes of zoom time,  getting to know you, and you are left with no idea where you went wrong. Anyone else out there feeling like the last several years of hard work really meant nothing, I feel you immensely.

I know these are just words from a stranger on the internet, but those Xs don't define you, your worth, or how hard you worked.  It also doesn't mean you're any less deserving than the next person.  Sending positive thoughts your way :)

35 minutes ago, bread said:

I know these are just words from a stranger on the internet, but those Xs don't define you, your worth, or how hard you worked.  It also doesn't mean you're any less deserving than the next person.  Sending positive thoughts your way :)

You're so nice! It's very easy to get down and low because of these Xs. Thank you for the positivity!

9 hours ago, Juno said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Just want to echo what bread said. There is so much subjectivity in CaRMS. If these programs can't see what you have to offer, then it's their loss. Really hope the other programs shower you with interview invitations!

By the way, which specialty is this?

8 hours ago, Juno said:

Hey Juno, really sorry to hear that you got red Xs.  I really hope the rest of your programs give you invites. Sending positivity your way and wishing you the best of luck!

10 hours ago, Juno said:

im so sorry to hear this - which programs? the smaller ones and surgery ones tend to interview very few people so don't let it define you as all the others have said. it's such a tough time and we put our fate into the hands of very few people. just again be strong and have faith. you are much more than what some carms reviewers think of you!

To add to above (I'm not sure if this will help or hurt, but I hope and mean for it to help <3): I've participated in student hiring before in a related field, and I have to say, choosing between a group of immensely talented applicants is incredibly hard. Often times, it's basically a coin toss. The reality is that we've all made it this far and will be great residents, regardless of rejections from this flawed system. 

41 minutes ago, callmeswags said:

To add to above (I'm not sure if this will help or hurt, but I hope and mean for it to help <3): I've participated in student hiring before in a related field, and I have to say, choosing between a group of immensely talented applicants is incredibly hard. Often times, it's basically a coin toss. The reality is that we've all made it this far and will be great residents, regardless of rejections from this flawed system. 

Not sure how I feel like going matched and unmatched is between a coin toss lol

4 minutes ago, ArthurMcArthur said:

I think it definitely must be higher. I'm worried they might just be quickly vetting people because of the numbers

The interest in psych has increased exponentially since ~2015, which is great cause we need more fabulous psychiatrists out there, but also need more spots. 

I hope they aren’t quickly vetting people though.. though in this age anything’s possible :////