Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2021 Interviews--DISCUSSIONS

16 hours ago, bread said:

Anyone else still cringing about an interview? My last one was for one of my top choices - it was two panels, and the first one with the PD felt great, but I found the questions in the second more difficult, and I rambled and didn’t answer the questions well. I know I can’t do anything about it now, but I’m feeling ++disappointed about it :( 

Ugh definitely feel you!  Was walking around for days driving myself crazy thinking and rethinking about the things I had said!!!  Hopefully it all works out for the best for everyone... so hard not to think about it but it's done!  Do something (quarantine/zone appropriate :p) to celebrate! 

On 3/28/2021 at 10:26 PM, Divine Comedy said:

I believe interviewers have been trained to focus on the overall gestalt of an applicant rather than answers to individual questions (unless those answers raise red flags). Also heard from more than one resident that schools with MMIs have the tendency to drop the worst station. We're all human. "Perfect interviews" simply don't exist. I wouldn't worry about it.

OMG I PRAY THIS IS TRUE about the MMIs, thank you for this!!! 

On 3/28/2021 at 1:32 PM, NoMatchNoProblem said:

Would 100% NOT recommend. It sends all of the wrong signals and will not change your outcome if the decision has already been rendered.

I disagree in terms of sending wrong signals. I doubt it will help, but it wouldn't ever hurt you.

On 3/28/2021 at 1:32 PM, NoMatchNoProblem said:

At this point, program selection committees hold what is called the infamous "BIG MEETING" directly after the interviews.

On 3/28/2021 at 2:16 PM, NoMatchNoProblem said:

Every program has a big meeting and unfortunately for those big programs, it becomes more of an aggregate score between your file ranking and your interview, making the process more informal.  

For example if you received a 7 for your file and an 8 for your interview, the scores will be added together and the candidates ranked based on the highest to lowest of these.

As a resident who has actually been involved with the CaRMS process, note this is not the case everywhere, and every school does things differently. The rank order list can be changed for whatever reason right up to deadline.

This might be the case at some programs, but for our program, at least when there were physical interviews, the committee would get together at the end of each day and make a draft rank list of who interviewed, and there is is no formal scoring involved. Each day would incorporate those who interviewed into the list, based on a gestalt of application, interview performance, elective performance, LORs, feedback from residents, etc.

This might only work for smaller programs though because if you're interviewing hundreds for a FM position you might need a scoring system to simplify things.

On 3/29/2021 at 10:59 AM, Let it be MATCHical said:

Ugh definitely feel you!  Was walking around for days driving myself crazy thinking and rethinking about the things I had said!!!  Hopefully it all works out for the best for everyone... so hard not to think about it but it's done!  Do something (quarantine/zone appropriate :p) to celebrate! 

Sorry you’re in the same boat! I hope so, too :) yes - I hope you have a chance to celebrate also! We aren’t far away now from finding out!

On 3/28/2021 at 6:18 PM, aray623 said:

Meeeeeee. My last one and my top choice. Feel like I really screwed up an answer and just keep cringing about it and thinking about what I should have actually said. It's so hard not to!

Ugh, I’m sorry about that. My top choice also didn’t feel like it went the greatest. I’m crossing my fingers tight that that’s not the case for us, though! 

On 3/28/2021 at 7:55 PM, Butterfly_ said:

Me toooooo. I definitely said some rambly and cringey answers. It's so hard not to ruminate about it, but I find that distracting myself by spending time with family, youtube, netflix, etc helps. 

I’ve been finding Netflix and family so helpful, too. But also still cringing from time to time, haha. Maybe we did better than it felt :) 

22 minutes ago, bellejolie said:

Good luck with ROL submission friends! We got this. It WILL work out i strongly believe that. 13 days to go! 

So soon but so far away still! I feel like there should just be automatic Ativan prescriptions for med students during this period of CaRMS lol

52 minutes ago, Persephone said:

So soon but so far away still! I feel like there should just be automatic Ativan prescriptions for med students during this period of CaRMS lol

I keep having mini panic attacks where I think "you haven't submitted your ROL" and then spiral into a hole of anxiety, even though I submitted my ROL like the first day it opened.

And then I think, "are you sure that's how you want to rank those" and go back to double check

the next 13 days need to fly by

13 minutes ago, aray623 said:

I keep having mini panic attacks where I think "you haven't submitted your ROL" and then spiral into a hole of anxiety, even though I submitted my ROL like the first day it opened.

And then I think, "are you sure that's how you want to rank those" and go back to double check

I know I have to check it again tonight/tmrw ensure it’s submitted LOL. It seems so far but also can’t believe it’s here. 

18 minutes ago, aray623 said:

lol totally do this too. I keep checking even though I know it's submitted. SIGH.

1 hour ago, aray623 said:

Yeah I keep checking on mine too lol after April 8 maybe that at least will stop?

36 minutes ago, CaRMS_anxiety said:

And just to confirm with everybody - for our RoL we just have to submit and see the green check-mark - there is nothing extra we need to do to have our RoL used?

I am afraid that somehow I'm missing something else I have to do...

That’s all I have haha and I took a picture and have the email as confirmation/proof. 

2 hours ago, CaRMS_anxiety said:

And just to confirm with everybody - for our RoL we just have to submit and see the green check-mark - there is nothing extra we need to do to have our RoL used?

I am afraid that somehow I'm missing something else I have to do...

Yes and you should get a confirmation email!