Premed 101 Forums

really bad r score for first semester

kwrooo

Hello, i'm a college student and for my first semester, i got really bad r score (talking 28,5..) I feel lost and I skipped winter semester to study english and I'm still agonizing.. :(

Should I give up and register for fall 2021 in another school to start newly or I still have a chance to make it? 

12 hours ago, kwrooo said:

Hello, i'm a college student and for my first semester, i got really bad r score (talking 28,5..) I feel lost and I skipped winter semester to study english and I'm still agonizing.. :(

Should I give up and register for fall 2021 in another school to start newly or I still have a chance to make it? 

You cannot start anew at another school, once an R score is in your file, it's there forever, the only way you can "delete" it is by doing 50 credits or more at a university after your cegep.

12 hours ago, kwrooo said:

Don't worry, a lot of people were in your shoes and made it. I believe your best bet would be to continue your education and assess what went wrong and how you can fix it then actually fixing it is the hardest part. I also started out around that R score because of a big shock between barely working in high school and going to a super competitive CEGEP in my first session. It's always possible to raise it up, I was still able to go up about 4+ pts or so in 2 sessions just by trying a bit harder. That being said, you should know a bad session won't ruin all your chances to get into med school. Make mistakes, learn from them and better yourself. There's still university to catch up if you can't meet a high enough R score. Then after that, there are still options to make it to where you wanna be. It's a marathon, some people get in after cegep - others don't and need a bit more time to get in.

Not all physicians in Quebec were able to fast track directly from Cegep. Some, of which I am an example, did not have the grades to even apply from Cegep. Others applied from Cegep, were interviewed and not accepted, so they had to continue their education with an undergraduate degree and apply again, then receive an acceptance either immediately or after more than 1 cycle. And some never make it. It is a lottery, where persistence, motivation, hard work and luck all play a role. And over a lifetime, a few more years is no big deal - really.