Premed 101 Forums

Swapping residency programs question

Hello,

I am IMG applying for the current match cycle. Theoretically, my understanding is it is possible to swap residency programs once you start residency if you have a person to swap with and it is PGME approved. My question is if I have a ROS obligation could I swap with someone without one, especially if it is going from FM to IM or vice/versa? 

Just want to have a fully informed decision when I am deciding on my rank list. Anyone have insight into this sort of thing from an IMG point of view? Thanks!

Edit: I put this here because i'm only interested in primary care specialties, but I realize now it probably belongs in the more general section 

8 hours ago, TorontoTrot said:

Theoretically, my understanding is it is possible to swap residency programs once you start residency if you have a person to swap with and it is PGME approved.

Unlike the US, it does not matter if you find someone who will swap with you, but you are correct that it has to go through PGME. Ignoring the ROS for the moment, if you wanted to switch programs within the same university then it would be a matter of approaching the PD of your desired specialty and if they have room/want you then its relatively easy to arrange through the PGME office. If you want to transfer to the same or different specialty at a different institution, you have you go through your PGME office, which then reaches out to other schools at a certain time of year and any program that has availability will declare so then your PGME sends your details to any program you'd be open to, and then from the potential applicants for transfer the accepting program decides who to accept. This typically will need a LOR from your current PD so you need them on your side too.

Now with the return of service I do not know how that would apply, and each province does theirs somewhat differently. In transfers your funding typically does not follow you so that would complicate things. You'll have to ask each province's MOH or whoever deals with ROS commitments what the options are, but I would be very skeptical if it didn't severely limit your transfer options. Regardless of IMG/ROS I would give you the same advice as I give to CMGs, in that do not rely on or consider the possibility of transfer when doing CaRMS. It happens, but its relatively infrequent.