Premed 101 Forums

I need your input please - Nontrad international grad low gpa

Hello! I have BSc and a Master’s major in Biology. Science heavy but my WES undergrad GPA 2.4 and they deleted my whole first year (according to Canadian grading system so they deleted my first year UG) I actually thought my 1st year was high cos I was one of those top students, and then family problems and my grades went downhill. Anyway, my grad school was science-heavy as well and with thesis - 3.9 GPA and best thesis. WES Evaluation is I have 3 year Bachelor's and Master's degree. I think my EC’s are quite good. Any advice on how to boost my GPA? Should I do Special Master's Program? I'm mostly interested to Canadian Med School. Thank you, I appreciate your input.

You would need to do another undergraduate degree in order to get in anywhere in Canada. Some of your courses from your previous degree may transfer over and allow you to do the 2nd undergraduate in 2 years. Unfortunately, no schools only look at just graduate school grades and your undergrad grades are just not competitive.

1 hour ago, naptime98 said:

You would need to do another undergraduate degree in order to get in anywhere in Canada. Some of your courses from your previous degree may transfer over and allow you to do the 2nd undergraduate in 2 years. Unfortunately, no schools only look at just graduate school grades and your undergrad grades are just not competitive.

Thank you for replying.. Yeah, I'm open into that. I'm looking (and interested) into the BSN accelerated stream cos I think it will be an advantage of knowing the wards protocol but I read somewhere that BSN is not a good idea? Any UG recommendation? Right now, I'll take any chances to boost my undergrad GPA. Thanks..

20 minutes ago, idontwannabehopeless said:

Thank you for replying.. Yeah, I'm open into that. I'm looking (and interested) into the BSN accelerated stream cos I think it will be an advantage of knowing the wards protocol but I read somewhere that BSN is not a good idea? Any UG recommendation? Right now, I'll take any chances to boost my undergrad GPA. Thanks..

I think BSN is tough because there are many practical and pass/fail courses so it’s difficult to get enough classes that have grades to boost your GPA.

I would recommend taking whatever program you feel you can get the highest possible GPA in while being able to shorten it to 2 years with transfer credits. It’s tough for me to give you any more advice than that.

1 minute ago, naptime98 said:

I think BSN is tough because there are many practical and pass/fail courses so it’s difficult to get enough classes that have grades to boost your GPA.

I would recommend taking whatever program you feel you can get the highest possible GPA in while being able to shorten it to 2 years with transfer credits. It’s tough for me to give you any more advice than that.

Thank you so much.. You gave great points to consider - really helpful! :)