Premed 101 Forums

Feelings after interview?

Kanye East

58 minutes ago, monkeybrain2 said:

I'm interviewing tomorrow at McGill and am freaking out. Were you able to ask follow up questions at each MMI station?

Haha sorry I probably should’ve waited until next week, hadn’t realized interviews are still going on this long. Honestly it’s meant to put you in ambiguous situations so just be honest with yourself in it. My tip is just be patient, I think I really panicked bc I had my computer clock in front of me and like I had to get my answers out ASAP which also made me very nervous. So I would say just be honest, don’t act unlike yourself and don’t worry about rushing to get your words across I think 

1 minute ago, abcd1288 said:

You never know! Watch me in the next month saying I got my R despite feeling okay hahaha :P

I guess we really can't gauge our own performances. Perhaps i'm overtly critical of my own performance because of later over-thinking things like what I should have said in the moment/mentioned that certain thing, if I talked too fast or appeared nervous etc.

At the end of the day though, theres a difference between having some time to collect your thoughts and really think about something (conveying your best self) and the nature of the MMI where you're launched into a prompt and have a couple of moments to begin talking, leading you to potentially come across as confused, non-genuine, anxious, immature, etc... Oh well, we will see in a month :D

2 minutes ago, Great_Wumbo said:

I guess we really can't gauge our own performances. Perhaps i'm overtly critical of my own performance because of later over-thinking things like what I should have said in the moment/mentioned that certain thing, if I talked too fast or appeared nervous etc.

At the end of the day though, theres a difference between having some time to collect your thoughts and really think about something (conveying your best self) and the nature of the MMI where you're launched into a prompt and have a couple of moments to begin talking, leading you to potentially come across as confused, non-genuine, anxious, immature, etc... Oh well, we will see in a month :D

Fingers crossed!

Hey folks! it's absolutely normal not to know if you performed well or not at MMIs! It's always been challenging to self evaluate after an interview performance, and it's probably even more difficult in a virtual setting. Try not to think too much about it after it's done (more easier said then done, I know), and find something to keep yourself busy for the next couple of weeks. Hope to meet you next year! :) 

Im really glad to see this post and see that Im not the only one feeling confused haha. It was weird leaving the zoom and sit alone ,in my room, with nobody to talk about it  and relate :') 

I really liked the acting scenario, I forgot i was in an interview. In one station. But some station oh man, I feel like I was not clear enough. And I definetly wish we had more time.

23 hours ago, Elgar said:

Hey folks! it's absolutely normal not to know if you performed well or not at MMIs! It's always been challenging to self evaluate after an interview performance, and it's probably even more difficult in a virtual setting. Try not to think too much about it after it's done (more easier said then done, I know), and find something to keep yourself busy for the next couple of weeks. Hope to meet you next year! :) 

This x100. It’s normal to question your performance and even think you messed up badly. I remember thinking I would get a reject but the adcom thought otherwise; Just to say you cannot objectively rate your performance.

Congrats on making it to the interview and good luck for decision day. 

2 minutes ago, abcd1288 said:

The hardest thing is to mask your inner nervousness and freaking out by appearing confident.

I totally agree. I totally freak out in one station because I didnt understand what was in front of me, and then the evaluator came to ask me questions. But then I saw myself on the screen and I looked calm. Inside it was a storm, i was panicking, but on the outside I just looked like i was thinking and concentrated. so yea we shouldnt be too hard on ourselves

18 minutes ago, caturday said:

How much did the OOP waitlist move last year, do you know?

A friend of mine told me it was around 7 people last year. In the earlier years it used to be 10-15 people. McGill getting more popular nowadays. 

I met around 13 OOPs this year and about 8 of them wanted McGill as their first choice. It's not a guarantee that they will receive the direct acceptance but still....