Premed 101 Forums

Physics online in the Summer

Hey guys. Since I have tried getting in to med school in Canada a couple of times now, I want to broaden my chances and try to apply to American Med schools for the upcoming application cycle. However, I only took one semester of physics during my undergrad and I graduated already. In order to fulfill the requirements for USA Med Schools I need one more semester of physics. Has anyone taken Physics in the summer and can make me recommendations of which school they took it at? Physics is not my strong suite so I would prefer an easier school. Also I live in BC so if it is out of province it would have to be online.

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, MDee2B said:

I took PHYS 202 (aka physics III) at athabasca. Of the online courses I’ve done there, this one was the best so far as the course coordinator was helpful and engaging, for example acknowledging mistakes I’d pointed out in their practice examples (unlike in other courses I’ve done there, where the “academic experts” didn’t care at all and just sent copy-paste responses which they send to everybody, or didnt even reply at all).

The course focused on magnetism, electromagnetism, waves, optics among other subjects, iirc. They mailed me a huge toolkit to conduct labs at home. I put in the work, did the course along side raising family, working full time, and freelancing part time, got a 96%/ A+.

Thank you you so much for the response! I will see if they offer physics 202 this summer because this seems like something I would be interested in. I used to think Athabasca was kinda a scam/not a legit uni but I keep getting good recommendations for it

4 hours ago, nerdy_unicorn said:

I used to think Athabasca was kinda a scam/not a legit uni

Well, it kinda is a scam since they charge a lotta $ yet offer no lectures, in-person office hours, etc, since it’s an online course, and their academic staff often don’t even give you the time of day via email which is reprehensible given what you pay. Their texts are also ridden with errors and it’s up to you to navigate the mess. 
On the other hand, it is a legit uni in the sense that a lot of their courses are recognized by admissions committees so you can get what you need. Just need discipline and be able to learn well independently because there are no fellow students taking the course with you, and abysmal academic staff support (depending on the course).

4 hours ago, nerdy_unicorn said:

I will see if they offer physics 202 this summer

You can enroll in athabasca’s online courses any month of the year. You just have to register on the 10th of the month preceding the month you’d like to start (ie register by March 10 to start April 1).

On 2/19/2021 at 2:14 PM, MDee2B said:

Well, it kinda is a scam since they charge a lotta $ yet offer no lectures, in-person office hours, etc, since it’s an online course, and their academic staff often don’t even give you the time of day via email which is reprehensible given what you pay. Their texts are also ridden with errors and it’s up to you to navigate the mess. 
On the other hand, it is a legit uni in the sense that a lot of their courses are recognized by admissions committees so you can get what you need. Just need discipline and be able to learn well independently because there are no fellow students taking the course with you, and abysmal academic staff support (depending on the course).

You can enroll in athabasca’s online courses any month of the year. You just have to register on the 10th of the month preceding the month you’d like to start (ie register by March 10 to start April 1).

Thank you I appreciate the advice!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 10:25 AM, MDee2B said:

I took PHYS 202 (aka physics III) at athabasca. Of the online courses I’ve done there, this one was the best so far as the course coordinator was helpful and engaging, for example acknowledging mistakes I’d pointed out in their practice examples (unlike in other courses I’ve done there, where the “academic experts” didn’t care at all and just sent copy-paste responses which they send to everybody, or didnt even reply at all).

The course focused on magnetism, electromagnetism, waves, optics among other subjects, iirc. They mailed me a huge toolkit to conduct labs at home. I put in the work, did the course along side raising family, working full time, and freelancing part time, got a 96%/ A+.

Hey, do you happen to know if PHYS 200/201 at Athabasca are fine for the physics prereqs for med? 

9 hours ago, ceelbe said:

Hey, do you happen to know if PHYS 200/201 at Athabasca are fine for the physics prereqs for med? 

I do not. You should also know that different med schools have different recognition policies as far pre reqs go. I would advise you to confirm with each med school where you plan to apply whether they will recognize a given pre req course or not. Don’t assume that just because the course is recognized by one faculty, that it will be recognized by other med faculties, even within the same province.

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2021 at 7:35 PM, ceelbe said:

Hey BTW I emailed a bunch of USA schools and the ones that replied either said they won't be able to review individual courses until the application has been submitted but the few that did reply said it was acceptable .Hope that helps

54 minutes ago, nerdy_unicorn said:

Hey BTW I emailed a bunch of USA schools and the ones that replied either said they won't be able to review individual courses until the application has been submitted but the few that did reply said it was acceptable .Hope that helps

Thank you :) from what it seems, it really depends on the school. For me, I’m only interested in Canadian med schools but good to know that at least some med schools consider them! I’ve decided to not do them at Athasbasca just because it seems like too big a gamble to not know for sure who accepts which courses. Good luck!!! :)