Premed 101 Forums

Which dental schools in Canada take EC's into account?

I want to apply to UofA and for next year they are changing their application to basically resemble medical school requirements (GPA, DAT but also EC's, job history, personal experiences, and a CASPER type test)

to those of you who have applied to a more holistic dental school, how much harder is it? 

Personally my GPA is okay but not the best. I think it will be around 3.7ish or a little below. I think I can do okay on the DAT if I study but to be honest my science abilities are not too strong. My EC's are also okay (volunteer with kids since I was 16, part of a STEM nonprofit as an exec, won some leadership awards in high school, a job, and an intern for another STEM organization). What do you think, would I stand a chance for a more holistic school?

7 hours ago, dentalnerd said:

Both Western and McGill heavily weigh ECs! 

UofT is more grades based but i think they are shifting to weighing ECs more too.

So whats the caliber of ECs at Western? is there a strong emphasis on shadowing, I've only done one hour of shadowing. im asking because i want to apply to ualberta dental school and they are changing their application process to make it more holistic for the fall 2022 intake. this is the first time they are doing something like this btw. i have some extracurriculars but im not sure where i would stand in terms of actually getting in.

For ECs commit to a few things you like and dont be afraid to try new things as well to find what best suits you! 

For example someone i know was in a band and at their interview all they talked about was music and their experience with the guitar and the band. 

I think shadowing is not only looks good on applications but also really give you a better perspective on what dentistry entails (something that will also help you with your personal statement) and also know if dentistry is something you really want!