Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS MMI interviews

1 minute ago, callmeswags said:

Wondering about this as well. The only thing I've heard for the Mac MMI is that for one station they have access to your CV, so I imagine there's a question related to that. 

yes from searching the forum it seems they are more practical questions i.e case based like OSCE or personal questions just with multiple staff/residents to ensure more objectivity. 

I'm applying to a different speciality but does anyone know how residency MMIs are in general? For ex. I know in medical school there were a lot of ethical questions and some policy/'hot topic' questions as well. Would residency MMIs be similar or is it more focused on personal questions?

6 minutes ago, Ji Ah X said:

I'm applying to a different speciality but does anyone know how residency MMIs are in general? For ex. I know in medical school there were a lot of ethical questions and some policy/'hot topic' questions as well. Would residency MMIs be similar or is it more focused on personal questions?

Personal questions and to gain insight into your experiences / how you handle situations is most of it. 

Other than know yourself, and having thought about a few experiences during clerkship, there is not much true prep needed. Do what you need to do to feel calm, collected and confident.

1 minute ago, JohnGrisham said:

Personal questions and to gain insight into your experiences / how you handle situations is most of it. 

Other than know yourself, and having thought about a few experiences during clerkship, there is not much true prep needed. Do what you need to do to feel calm, collected and confident.

Perfect. Thank you! :)

12 hours ago, Butterfly_ said:

Question: If you're at the interview of your top choice program, should you tell the interviewers that they are your number 1 choice?

You can if you like, especially if like your SO and family live in that city its pretty obvious, but it won't help or hurt you, as in theory you can say that to every program. Just like they're welcome to say that they will rank you highly and then later find out you didn't match there and they had unmatched spots... which has happened.

2 minutes ago, bearded frog said:

You can if you like, especially if like your SO and family live in that city its pretty obvious, but it won't help or hurt you, as in theory you can say that to every program. Just like they're welcome to say that they will rank you highly and then later find out you didn't match there and they had unmatched spots... which has happened.

To go off of that, I'm applying to multiple rural FM sites at 4 Ontario schools. I've got one specific site with a school that I really want, but am applying to all of the sites just in case. Do you think I would do more harm than good if I specifically said that one site was my top at the interview, knowing that I'm interviewing for all the sites with that school?

5 hours ago, aray623 said:

To go off of that, I'm applying to multiple rural FM sites at 4 Ontario schools. I've got one specific site with a school that I really want, but am applying to all of the sites just in case. Do you think I would do more harm than good if I specifically said that one site was my top at the interview, knowing that I'm interviewing for all the sites with that school?

Is it one combined interview for all sites? I would be delicate about it. You can say something like you're particularly attracted to X location because of Y. But I wouldn't say directly that X is your top choice. If there are individual interviews I think it would be fine to be somewhat more direct. Again it's unlikely that it would do any harm and they would rank you lower because their not your favourite?? But if you come off in any way like you might not be happy with the non-favourite sites then there's the possibility that it could hurt you because they understandably do not want an unhappy resident from the get-go in their program. This is balanced with the next to know benefit of saying that you're their favourite, again everyone could theoretically say that so it's better to talk about your potential connections to the program instead of "THIS MY FAV #1", say "I'm really excited about the prospect of doing my training here at X, specifically because I live down the street and grew up a few blocks over my mom lives over there and my girlfriend works at the clinic, and their focus on [whatever] really aligns with my career goals of [whatever] and I'm really inspired by Dr. Y's work in [whatever], I can really see myself setting down roots in X and working here, especially with the unique opportunity to [whatever]." That tells them 10x more and if they at all like you it will help them think that you have the "fit" for their program, which is a huge part of matching.