Premed 101 Forums

Why did you choose UCalgary Medical school?

3betafish

Hi Premed 101! 

I am trying to learn a bit more about what makes the University of Calgary's medical program unique? From perusing their website, I can see that the program is 3 years long. Beyond that, I am finding it hard to learn about the values of the school, any courses that they offer that other schools do not, etc. When I look at the University of Alberta website, in contrast, it appears much more clear to me what it might be like to be in their program (they seem to value Indigenous health, mental health of their students, and supporting their students academically through the program from what I can see). 

So, I thought to come on here and ask!

What made/makes the UCalgary medical school the one for you?

Thanks everyone!

On 2/23/2021 at 5:18 PM, lovemedicinesomuch said:

I am a U of C student. Although U of C has a nice community, I'd NOT recommend going to U of C medical school! U of A is a much better alternative.

Not sure how you can say that, unless you've attended both...

Honestly, if you want to be a doctor you will be served by any program in Canada.

3 years is more intense, less breaks, and the pace is quick...but before you know it you're done.

I don't know if I would have wanted to lollygag through a final year of electives based on what I heard from a few friends who went to 4 year schools. I went from the frying pan of clerkship straight to the fire of residency. It was worth it. I felt ready.

Calgary has made changes to their schedule and incorporated more breaks since I graduated.