Premed 101 Forums

Curious about Carms process

MaudeB

Hello!

I am very much intrigued about the carms application process. I read some of the carms report and the algorithm seem pretty complicated and some applicants don't match, which must be very stressful!

I have 2 specific questions:

-since there are more seats in med school in Quebec, are there more residency spots that will be open? I know the Qc gov wants to have more people in family medicine, but if people apply and are left unmatched, this does not seem to help with the initial problem of shortage of FM physician.

-How many programs/locations are carms aplicants applying to? Do you apply all over Canada, or can you match if you apply to one province and a limited number of location, in FM specifically? And in specialty? 

Thank you so much everyone for your insight!! 

5 hours ago, MaudeB said:

-since there are more seats in med school in Quebec, are there more residency spots that will be open? I know the Qc gov wants to have more people in family medicine, but if people apply and are left unmatched, this does not seem to help with the initial problem of shortage of FM physician.

Residency spots are a provincial funding allocation, so it's up to each provinces ministry of health/political. So hard to say if more spots are coming any time soon.

5 hours ago, MaudeB said:

-How many programs/locations are carms aplicants applying to? Do you apply all over Canada, or can you match if you apply to one province and a limited number of location, in FM specifically? And in specialty? 

Different for everyone, its a choice you make on your own. Maybe you have family in a specific location that limits where you can go. Larger specialties like family you probably don't have to apply everywhere. Others may apply broadly then only interview or rank a subset. May people applying to competitive specialties generally will apply across the board if that specialty is more important than location. In previous years people might have had to give up interviews due to travel logistics which may not be the case this year due to interviews being online. Personally I applied across the country as I figured I would rather live anywhere for 4 years than do something I didn't enjoy for the rest of my career.

13 minutes ago, bearded frog said:

Residency spots are a provincial funding allocation, so it's up to each provinces ministry of health/political. So hard to say if more spots are coming any time soon.

Different for everyone, its a choice you make on your own. Maybe you have family in a specific location that limits where you can go. Larger specialties like family you probably don't have to apply everywhere. Others may apply broadly then only interview or rank a subset. May people applying to competitive specialties generally will apply across the board if that specialty is more important than location. In previous years people might have had to give up interviews due to travel logistics which may not be the case this year due to interviews being online. Personally I applied across the country as I figured I would rather live anywhere for 4 years than do something I didn't enjoy for the rest of my career.

Thanks so much for the explanation! Yes, I guess online interviews helps a lot when you apply broadly! It would be great if they kept online interviews options in the future!