Premed 101 Forums

can I apply to med the same year I start my second undergrad?

Hi, 

I am feeling so lost in this process and I would really appreciate if someone could help clarify a couple questions. thank you. 

1. I have a BSc in biomedical sciences, and I am looking to do a second undergrad, ideally in 2 years. Does anyone know of any programs you'd recommend in the province? 

Right now I am planning to major in Psychology or Kinesiology.  

2. On the UofA website, it states:

"All applicants to the Doctor of Medicine Program must be registered in a baccalaureate degree from a program recognized by the University of Alberta and obtain their degree the year admission is sought or already have completed their degree program. 

Does it mean that I must finish my second degree or be in my last year of second undergrad before I could apply? Can I drop out of my second undergrad if I get into Med? 

• Pokemon changed the title to can I apply to med the same year I start my second undergrad?
1 hour ago, Pokemon said:

Hi, 

I am feeling so lost in this process and I would really appreciate if someone could help clarify a couple questions. thank you. 

1. I have a BSc in biomedical sciences, and I am looking to do a second undergrad, ideally in 2 years. Does anyone know of any programs you'd recommend in the province? 

Right now I am planning to major in Psychology or Kinesiology.  

2. On the UofA website, it states:

"All applicants to the Doctor of Medicine Program must be registered in a baccalaureate degree from a program recognized by the University of Alberta and obtain their degree the year admission is sought or already have completed their degree program. 

Does it mean that I must finish my second degree or be in my last year of second undergrad before I could apply? Can I drop out of my second undergrad if I get into Med? 

Can't help you with the first one, but for the second one, if you have a BSc. you are good. That note from the U of A's website is for people who have not completed an undergrad degree yet. And yes you can drop out if you get in.

yes you don't need to finish the second UG but I highly suggest not doing psych/kin as a second UG. Your second UG should lead to an alternative career....to put it bluntly what if you don't get in after the second UG? Now you have 2 degrees, not 1, that won't lead to a good alternative career. Then you would need to do a third degree...Consider things like education, nursing, comp sci, nutrition, which can be done in 2 years.