Premed 101 Forums

UofT Dental school

Hellooo everyone,

I'm currently in my 3rd year of Undergrad at York and planning to apply for UofT dental school at my 5th year. I'm full course load now (4 courses fall-6courses Winter). My question is about GPA. So, I'm getting A in one of my courses this semester if I drop the course my total GPA for this year would be 3.95 and I won't be full course load anymore. However, if I keep the course my GPA will be 3.9 and full course load. Do you think I should drop the course as my GPA gets more competitive. Also, as I'm in my 3rd year it will be one of my last 2 years GPA. 

I'm only planning to apply for UofT and get into UofT. Not Western.

It sounds like you are set on applying to U of T, however, it is extremely competitive and to just to be safe I would suggest applying to more schools. They look at a lot more than just GPA, so although your marks are high, there are several other factors that they look at when admitting students. Many other schools require a full course load so I would suggest against dropping your course. hope that helps!

1 hour ago, FERRI said:

@rocky123 Thanks Rocky! yes that definitely helps! Just one quick question I know Western requires full course load. What other schools require full course load as well?

Most do. Full-time is what they look for so having at least four courses a semester would constitute that. However if there is a candidate around the same competitiveness as you and you have taken four a semester whereas they have taken five they will likely chose them over you. 

I agree with the other response in that you shouldn’t put all your eggs in one basket. Most people will apply to at least two schools. You are competitive so I would consider applying to more than simply u of t and western. 

3 hours ago, rocky123 said:

It sounds like you are set on applying to U of T, however, it is extremely competitive and to just to be safe I would suggest applying to more schools. They look at a lot more than just GPA, so although your marks are high, there are several other factors that they look at when admitting students. Many other schools require a full course load so I would suggest against dropping your course. hope that helps!

Does UOFT not have any full courseload dropping requirements?