Premed 101 Forums

med dent à med (udes)?

folklore

Tu devras payer des milliers voire une dizaine de milliers de dollars juste pour le matériel en dent, en plus que c'est un programme très difficile.

Rentre en dent si c'est qqch que tu voudrais faire dans le futur, et si tu changes d'idée pendant le programme, tu pourrais considérer changer de programme par la suite. D'autres personnes pourraient avoir une opinion différente mais bon.

Hello,

I strongly discourage you to enter in dent if your main goal is to aim for medicine. Dental medicine is one of the most difficult degree, if not the most difficult, for many reasons. First, there is a big part of the curriculum that is dedicated for lab components, where every students are struggling as hell. Second, it will be really difficult for you to get high grades even tho you might think that you will give all the efforts you can. My friend in dental medicine had close to 38 CRC and has barely 3,01 in his doctorate... this should let you see how much it is not possible to predict your compatibility with the subject. Third, the program takes 4 to 5 year to complete, which is such a loss of time knowing that you could have went to a bachelor degree much more easier with less years of study. Personally I’m in biopharma and from what I heard, it is a great IFG program, and if you give the same effort as you give in cegep to afford a 34 CRC, you should be able to afford a 4,20 GPA easily, again, it depends on your interests ! Don’t forget that a bachelor degree is really well seen for residency, according to a friend in second year Sherbrooke! 

5 minutes ago, Kazem said:

Hello,

I strongly discourage you to enter in dent if your main goal is to aim for medicine. Dental medicine is one of the most difficult degree, if not the most difficult, for many reasons. First, there is a big part of the curriculum that is dedicated for lab components, where every students are struggling as hell. Second, it will be really difficult for you to get high grades even tho you might think that you will give all the efforts you can. My friend in dental medicine had close to 38 CRC and has barely 3,01 in his doctorate... this should let you see how much it is not possible to predict your compatibility with the subject. Third, the program takes 4 to 5 year to complete, which is such a loss of time knowing that you could have went to a bachelor degree much more easier with less years of study. Personally I’m in biopharma and from what I heard, it is a great IFG program, and if you give the same effort as you give in cegep to afford a 34 CRC, you should be able to afford a 4,20 GPA easily, again, it depends on your interests ! Don’t forget that a bachelor degree is really well seen for residency, according to a friend in second year Sherbrooke! 

Thank you so much for your advice! My dream is med but I have the grades for dent and my parents don’t want me doing a bachelors if I can get into dent. A bachelor’s also scares me personally because it is a risk, and I’m afraid of passing up on dent and regretting it later on if I can’t get into med with a bachlor’s. These are just things to consider. I’m still hesitant but despite that my parents are firm so I think I will end up in dent, and I wouldn’t necessarily be upset with it. I’m just wondering if switching to med sherbrooke after 2 years is possible from med dent UdeM. :)

14 minutes ago, folklore said:

Thank you so much for your advice! My dream is med but I have the grades for dent and my parents don’t want me doing a bachelors if I can get into dent. A bachelor’s also scares me personally because it is a risk, and I’m afraid of passing up on dent and regretting it later on if I can’t get into med with a bachlor’s. These are just things to consider. I’m still hesitant but despite that my parents are firm so I think I will end up in dent, and I wouldn’t necessarily be upset with it. I’m just wondering if switching to med sherbrooke after 2 years is possible from med dent UdeM. :)

Hello,

I totally understand you and this is a delicate situation. Is dent something that you can see yourself happy in the future ? If not, I’ll maybe consider pharmacy prior to dentistry, since it is more doable. (Pharm is 164 credits, it is hard as well, as all the doctorate degrees, but having many friends in pharmacy, many of them were able to change for medicine. Pharmacy is a great carrier choice, physical therapy can also be something interesting since it is a professional bachelor that can lead you easily to med with adequate efforts ! 

if you have the grades for dent, there should be no problem for you in university! People with low CRC in the 20s were able to enter into many doctorate degrees after doing a bachelor ! 

hope you’ll get in in your first shot !