Premed 101 Forums

oversharing in the interview

Does anyone else feel like they might have overshared in the interview? I was giving a few personal examples and I mentioned some adversity I overcame but I'm not sure if these examples would be too excessive? They seemed appropriate in the moment though. How do you gauge which life experiences are appropriate to share?

13 hours ago, taelea said:

Does anyone else feel like they might have overshared in the interview? I was giving a few personal examples and I mentioned some adversity I overcame but I'm not sure if these examples would be too excessive? They seemed appropriate in the moment though. How do you gauge which life experiences are appropriate to share?

I have the same question. I never feel comfortable sharing personal stories because I always feel like I'm making the responses to the prompt all about me instead of focusing on the bigger picture. So if anyone with any idea about this can offer their 2 cents, that'd be great!

Its such a vague question that its impossible to give you an answer. Talking about overcoming the death of a loved one to cancer or working a part-time job during university to support yourself are great examples of life experiences that could be shared in an interview. Talking about the the time you got an STD and how much it taught you about the healthcare system is probably inappropriate...

I know lots of people who have shared personal experiences and stories in their interviews and have been successful. It is important that you answer the prompt of course. I think it is also important to not bring up something too personal or that is too emotionally fresh. When you bring up an experience and can show what you learned from it or how it helped you grow then I cannot see how that would hurt.