Premed 101 Forums

UofT Manual Dexterity Soap Carving DAT Required Now

I was just recently informed + saw on the UoFT Dentistry Admission site that anyone who is applying for the 2022 cycle and onwards are required to take the Manual Dexterity section of the DAT (it is no longer optional). I was surprised because I was planning to apply within this year/next year and now I guess I need to take the DAT including this section? Any thoughts & any tips from anyone who has done the MDex portion of the DAT?

14 minutes ago, Smileplease said:

Doesnt say so in the website yet. Where did u see this?

If you search "University of Toronto Dentistry Prospective Students" and then click the Doctor Of Dental Surgery tab and scroll to their DAT requirements, it should be updated there. 

Guys based on what it says, if you're applying this year in the 2021-2022 application cycle, I'm pretty sure you don't need to complete the MDT. Email them to make sure but I think it's pretty clear

You DO NOT need to complete the Manual Dexterity (MDT) section of the DAT exam in 2020 or 2021. If you intend you apply from 2022 onwards, you will need to complete this part of the exam.

https://www.dentistry.utoronto.ca/prospective-students/undergraduate/DDS

6 minutes ago, bucktooth5000 said:

Guys based on what it says, if you're applying this year in the 2021-2022 application cycle, I'm pretty sure you don't need to complete the MDT. Email them to make sure but I think it's pretty clear

You DO NOT need to complete the Manual Dexterity (MDT) section of the DAT exam in 2020 or 2021. If you intend you apply from 2022 onwards, you will need to complete this part of the exam.

https://www.dentistry.utoronto.ca/prospective-students/undergraduate/DDS

Even if the 2021-22 cycle was exempt I would most likely still have to take it incase I didn’t get in for that cycle and would have to apply for the 2022-23 cycle.