Premed 101 Forums

MCCQE 1 passing score

1 hour ago, bellejolie said:

Hello! I was wondering what an approximate raw passing score is on the LMCC? I just did a practice test and have the raw score out of 100 (not bad for not having studied) but not sure how they scale/curve things to determine the passing rate. Is there a way to check this? Is it ok to assume 60% is the pass?

Thanks in advance! 

Edit I have seen the passing score is about 226/400 combined MCQ and CDM. That’s about 56% but is it equivalent to raw scores? It’s really not clear how this sliding scale works so hard to know what range of raw scores would be considered a pass since they don’t provide a score percentile equivalency. Any clarification would be much appreciated!

11 minutes ago, RicardoKaká said:

Just wondering where did you get a practice test? Would love to try some of these.

Our school gave us access to one paid for. Otherwise the MCC if you just Google test MCC or MCC prep materials they have a bunch of practice questions available. It’s just VERY expensive ($1200 total for them all, for me it’ll be $1000 because of the test our school provided). Trend of the MCC tho they love stealing our money! 

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to bump this - I’ve been kind of all over the place with practice. Mainly 60-70s with Canada qbank and same with the MCC MCQ and CDM. I did one CDM and it was so specific and I really didn’t know any of the differential/management plans. In people’s experiences are the CDM really specific? I got like 50% on that one (but 70% the time before). And then like 60 on 2 of the 120 mcq and 70 most recently (after reviewing) so I’m just like really not sure where I stand. Should I postpone? I’m scheduled to write end of April. 

1 minute ago, RicardoKaká said:

Cant comment on QBANK tho, I've been doing UWorld and averaging 75% on first pass. Hope thats good enough lol.

That sounds pretty good to me. 75% is awesome. I’ve heard Uworld is really good and much better than qbank. I might just get it for the next few weeks to just help.

My plan now is to finish my first pass through everything (last day surgery tmrw covering trauma), and then just hone in and review all the topics covered in my MCC practice tests because I’ve heard they’re quite similar. 

1 hour ago, bellejolie said:

I just wanted to bump this - I’ve been kind of all over the place with practice. Mainly 60-70s with Canada qbank and same with the MCC MCQ and CDM. I did one CDM and it was so specific and I really didn’t know any of the differential/management plans. In people’s experiences are the CDM really specific? I got like 50% on that one (but 70% the time before). And then like 60 on 2 of the 120 mcq and 70 most recently (after reviewing) so I’m just like really not sure where I stand. Should I postpone? I’m scheduled to write end of April. 

I think you'll be fine - just keep plugging away and make sure you get through all the official practice material.  

Canada QBank is ok - they also have practice CDMs which I think are higher yield.  You could look at Step 2 + 3 First Aid texts too.  I find the high yield stuff was useful.       

UWorld is good in of itself as a learning tool, but not that high yield for the MCCQE - general overlap, but not that specific.  Ethics is much higher yield.  

8 hours ago, indefatigable said:

I think you'll be fine - just keep plugging away and make sure you get through all the official practice material.  

Canada QBank is ok - they also have practice CDMs which I think are higher yield.  You could look at Step 2 + 3 First Aid texts too.  I find the high yield stuff was useful.       

UWorld is good in of itself as a learning tool, but not that high yield for the MCCQE - general overlap, but not that specific.  Ethics is much higher yield.  

Thanks yes I’m definitely getting through all the MCC official practice material and am going to hone in on the specific topics they test. For sure ethics i was reading through the forums and the CPSO guidelines seems high yield as well. I’ll try to read through those. Thanks so much for your help!

11 hours ago, bellejolie said:

FWIW, I was also scoring 60-70s on the MCC practice tests and passed the MCCQE1 on first try.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!! 

I was getting about 70% on those practice tests and ended up being about one standard deviation above average on the actual test (despite having moved the previous day and only slept 5 hours).

The real value of those tests is the ability to understand how stupid and out of touch the questions are. If a patient is actively psychotic and agitated, you better counsel the shit out of him in regards to medication adherence!

1 hour ago, Snowmen said:

I was getting about 70% on those practice tests and ended up being about one standard deviation above average on the actual test (despite having moved the previous day and only slept 5 hours).

The real value of those tests is the ability to understand how stupid and out of touch the questions are. If a patient is actively psychotic and agitated, you better counsel the shit out of him in regards to medication adherence!

ah so reassuring! im just going to keep plugging away and yes slowly figuring out what they want to hear. i literally just want to pass and get it over with. 

2 minutes ago, Jarisch said:

Don't worry too much about the raw score on that exam

I got in 60s and 70s on my exams as well, studied the areas I felt they were testing heavily, and ended up 300+ on the actual exam  

wowowowww this is super reassuring. thank you!! feel much better and definitely will do that and focus on those areas. 

On 4/14/2021 at 3:27 PM, _gettingthere_ said:

For anyone using Uworld, are you paying for it? Is there a free trial or something lol

UWorld is an incredible learning resource but will break the bank (still worth every penny imo).

People from last year told me that it's really over the top for the LMCC, which was very similar to the questions in Canada QBanks. I think if you're planning on writing both the LMCC/Step 2 CK back to back (as many choose to do), it is definitely a wise investment. If you're writing the exam in a month from now, it might not seem worth it to you because there's over 3800 questions in the bank and they really go into detail with their explanations. You might not have time to cover everything by then. 

On 4/23/2021 at 1:48 PM, bellejolie said:

Alright so still averaging mid 60’s. Wondering if I should postpone. Writing next week ahhh. Did the full length today and got 66 ish. Some stupid mistakes but felt so uneasy and thought it was pretty tough. 

Uppers years just recommended writing it, even with little studying majority of people pass as the fail rate for CMGs is ~2%. Im sure with what you have done already is more than average

20 hours ago, Anonymous2021 said:

Uppers years just recommended writing it, even with little studying majority of people pass as the fail rate for CMGs is ~2%. Im sure with what you have done already is more than average

Thanks for your reply! I ended up writing it and found it manageable especially given that I reviewed all the MCC practice tests well (and bought them all hahaha). So overall felt decent about it and think (and hope) I passed! Wont find out until august. 

3 hours ago, bellejolie said:

Thanks for your reply! I ended up writing it and found it manageable especially given that I reviewed all the MCC practice tests well (and bought them all hahaha). So overall felt decent about it and think (and hope) I passed! Wont find out until august. 

We don't get our results before August :O?

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been wondering about this, too. I write in a few days and have been scoring anywhere between 50% - 80% on Canada q-bank MCQ and 60% - 80% on the CDM. I did the official practice test a few months ago without studying at all, and got mid-70s. Worried about my q-bank scores though, especially since those are with studying. I find a lot of the questions I get wrong are very specific ones about meds or rare conditions I don’t know much about (ex. Specific biologics, DiGeorge syndrome) - is q-bank generally harder than the actual exam? I’m feeling a bit stressed and like I might benefit from more studying time, but I don’t think I can reschedule this late, ugh 

6 hours ago, bread said:

I’ve been wondering about this, too. I write in a few days and have been scoring anywhere between 50% - 80% on Canada q-bank MCQ and 60% - 80% on the CDM. I did the official practice test a few months ago without studying at all, and got mid-70s. Worried about my q-bank scores though, especially since those are with studying. I find a lot of the questions I get wrong are very specific ones about meds or rare conditions I don’t know much about (ex. Specific biologics, DiGeorge syndrome) - is q-bank generally harder than the actual exam? I’m feeling a bit stressed and like I might benefit from more studying time, but I don’t think I can reschedule this late, ugh 

I wouldn't worry too much about Canada q-bank.

Try to do any more official practices - e.g. MCQ and CDMs which are more representative.  

You had a good score on the official practice, so I think you're in good shape.