Premed 101 Forums

Sending admissions team update on ABS activity post interview

Hello all, 

quick question, does anyone know the rules around sending the admissions people an update on a ABS item? I was fortunate enough to receive an interview this year and today I found out that one project I had been involved in had been accepted to a major conference. I was wondering if anyone knee the rules around sending the OAS portal an email saying "hey, here's an update on something thats on my sketch, and hope it helps me lol."

thanks for your help!

19 minutes ago, Average Joe said:

Hello all, 

quick question, does anyone know the rules around sending the admissions people an update on a ABS item? I was fortunate enough to receive an interview this year and today I found out that one project I had been involved in had been accepted to a major conference. I was wondering if anyone knee the rules around sending the OAS portal an email saying "hey, here's an update on something thats on my sketch, and hope it helps me lol."

thanks for your help!

Pretty sure that, unless it’s an error, they won’t make any changes to your entries past the original deadline.  And the end date for publications/presentations in the application is June 1, 2020 anyways - even if you had known about it before applications were due, they won’t count anything that hasn’t actually been published before that deadline. 

So at best it won’t help you. At worst you annoy someone. 

1 hour ago, Matty66 said:

I don't think it would be annoying tbh. You can send them an update and worst case it does nothing but doesn't hurt to try!

I am usually very pro advocating for yourself, asking admissions lots of questions, and adding anything you think can help you, etc etc on this forum.

But when it comes to asking about things that are stated up and down clearly on the website and/or trying to sneak things in that the application actively excludes (in this case only allowing an end date of June 1, 2020 or earlier for activities, publications, etc.), I think you run the risk of annoying people and/or making yourself look bad.

Do I think it’s LIKELY to do harm to ask? No. Almost certainly the admissions team would only red flag an application to the selection committee if the applicant sent them something quite clearly unprofessional/rude/etc, and a request like this one really is probably harmless. But do I think there’s a REMOTE possibility it could do harm? Yes. And in that case, given how clearly the application and help guide states that anything published after June 1, 2020 won’t be included in scoring anyways, I don’t see it could possibly help to email them. Not worth the risk, however small, IMO.

On the plus side OP - if you don’t get in this year you’re already ahead on adding points to your app for next year!

25 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

I am usually very pro advocating for yourself, asking admissions lots of questions, and adding anything you think can help you, etc etc on this forum.

But when it comes to asking about things that are stated up and down clearly on the website and/or trying to sneak things in that the application actively excludes (in this case only allowing an end date of June 1, 2020 or earlier for activities, publications, etc.), I think you run the risk of annoying people and/or making yourself look bad.

Do I think it’s LIKELY to do harm to ask? No. Almost certainly the admissions team would only red flag an application to the selection committee if the applicant sent them something quite clearly unprofessional/rude/etc, and a request like this one really is probably harmless. But do I think there’s a REMOTE possibility it could do harm? Yes. And in that case, given how clearly the application and help guide states that anything published after June 1, 2020 won’t be included in scoring anyways, I don’t see it could possibly help to email them. Not worth the risk, however small, IMO.

On the plus side OP - if you don’t get in this year you’re already ahead on adding points to your app for next year!

I tend to agree. Updating is more of an US thing.