Premed 101 Forums

I'm seriously considering medical school overseas

Right but why a 3.4? What's the breakdown by year? Are you capable of more but had life get in the way, did you just cruise through because you weren't interested in medicine at the time, or are you a B+ student at your best? That's not a dig by the way.

Why do you want to go overseas? What do you think the advantage is vs improving your application and applying to Canada/US?

If you're trying to avoid the bottleneck because you're impatient then you're just kicking the can down the road and will hit the bottleneck of residency applications, with the caveat that you're out hundreds of thousands of dollars and, realistically, a YOG time limit. Whereas the medical school bottle neck you can keep applying and doing other things in the meantime. And, realistically, you're severely limited on specialty options.

The people who are successful overseas are those that could be accepted to can/us if they had a fresh start, but because of initial low GPAs for whatever reason, they are unsuccessful with multiple applications, but have the drive to be in the top 20% of their class overseas so that they have a realistic shot at matching.

@bearded frog Graduated out of college with a 3.75, in university first year it was a 3.8, second year 2.7, and third year 3.7. My mother had an aneurysm she became permanently disabled can't eat, talk or see this took a toll on me mentally and my extended family estranged us as well. This is no excuse though and I should have paid attention in school but I didn't. I started having low self worth but I knew I had to change this I applied to the military as a reservist in hopes it can break me down and build me into someone that's more disciplined and increase my self esteem, also had the desire to serve my country. I'm trying to live day by day and see where life takes me my goal for medicine is to help other people and I just need to get my foot in the door. Why overseas? It's because my GPA is bad and I hope to return back and go become a flight surgeon or doctor in the military.

2 hours ago, PreMed4Life said:

@bearded frog Graduated out of college with a 3.75, in university first year it was a 3.8, second year 2.7, and third year 3.7. My mother had an aneurysm she became permanently disabled can't eat, talk or see this took a toll on me mentally and my extended family estranged us as well. This is no excuse though and I should have paid attention in school but I didn't. I started having low self worth but I knew I had to change this I applied to the military as a reservist in hopes it can break me down and build me into someone that's more disciplined and increase my self esteem, also had the desire to serve my country. I'm trying to live day by day and see where life takes me my goal for medicine is to help other people and I just need to get my foot in the door. Why overseas? It's because my GPA is bad and I hope to return back and go become a flight surgeon or doctor in the military.

You had one bad year for a very understandable reason. A significant number of medical schools have a process of grade forgiveness if you meet certain criteria. For instance I think UBC basically drops your worst year, so now you're looking at a 3.75. I would look into each school to see where you would stand with their various formulas. I wold very strongly consider an extra year of undergrad, kill the MCAT, then see where you stand, at least before going overseas. I admire your drive but I strongly encourage you to exhaust your options in North America first. Many applicants apply a few years before being accepted.

On 3/12/2021 at 5:50 PM, PreMed4Life said:

Hey,

Was wondering if going to Ireland, Caribbean, and Australia was worth it a bit about me I graduated from community college and I'm currently in University and have a 3.4 GPA and currently studying for the MCAT. Which school is a better option and allows me to practice medicine 

Applied to all Irish Med School with 3.9GPA and was only accepted to one. Yeah, you read it correct! JUST ONE! and it wasn't RCSI. The point is you still need a decent GPA for overseas school. 

11 minutes ago, orgolover said:

Applied to all Irish Med School with 3.9GPA and was only accepted to one. Yeah, you read it correct! JUST ONE! and it wasn't RCSI. The point is you still need a decent GPA for overseas school. 

lol you like to spread this myth on multiple posts...please stop with this narrative, you even had the gall to say that these schools "are just as hard to get into than Canadian schools" lmao. I know multiple people with a 3.0-3.2 that go into Irish schools and other European/Australian schools. It doesn't take a genius to know the standards of these schools for Canadian applicants..

OP do NOT go abroad, but if you want to know your 3.4 is more than enough..