Premed 101 Forums

Post-MMI thoughts/feelings

18 minutes ago, brrrrrrrrr said:

"We regret to inform you that your file will not progress to the next stages of assessment."

But what are the next stages of assessment? They already have all the files they need to assess me. They have my transcripts, MCAT score, MMI score. What more do they need?

I believe references being contacted and a tally of your MMI, GPA and MCAT to determine our ranking is the next stage of the assessment. Either we bombed the MMI, this application cycle was a lot more competitive, or we got red flagged are the only reasons I can conclude for this response.

7 minutes ago, Fanofmed said:

I believe references being contacted and a tally of your MMI, GPA and MCAT to determine our ranking is the next stage of the assessment. Either we bombed the MMI, this application cycle was a lot more competitive, or we got red flagged are the only reasons I can conclude for this response.

I guess I'm curious to know, do they usually send out emails with this specific wording at this time of year? Or was it just a this-year thing because of an especially competitive cycle?

On 3/15/2021 at 5:10 PM, 12345mdsk said:

I’m optimistic that we might know a bit earlier- rumour was that there was less interviews this year with the Casper, which means less references to call and applications to sort through! Plus may 15th is a Saturday this year

I'm really holding on to hope that less people were interviewed this year haha. Did you hear this from someone credible or is this just an assumption? I'm also wondering how many people were rejected yesterday... the applicant pool has to be fairly small at this point.

38 minutes ago, Kerrdy said:

I'm really holding on to hope that less people were interviewed this year haha. Did you hear this from someone credible or is this just an assumption? I'm also wondering how many people were rejected yesterday... the applicant pool has to be fairly small at this point.

Not sure about less people being interviewed. But, I would say about 20 OOP and 40 IP were rejected yesterday. This is based on their 5 year summary: https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/admissions-statistics-5-year-summary.pdf. I think yesterday was MMI cut-offs which are about 40% OOP and 20% IP from previous years. 

If you made the cut-off, you progress to the reference contacting stage

25 minutes ago, minahg said:

Not sure about less people being interviewed. But, I would say about 20 OOP and 40 IP were rejected yesterday. This is based on their 5 year summary: https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/admissions-statistics-5-year-summary.pdf. I think yesterday was MMI cut-offs which are about 40% OOP and 20% IP from previous years. 

If you made the cut-off, you progress to the reference contacting stage

Yeah, that seems about right. I'm wondering if we will hear if we are accepted/waitlisted/rejected earlier than usual. Seems like they are doing things a bit differently this year, as typically no one hears anything until mid May. I think everyone who got emailed yesterday was really shocked to hear back so soon.

1 minute ago, cadmed said:

So if we didn’t get an email yesterday does that mean we can assume we made the cutoff? Or will more emails be sent out?

I think we can assume that we are still in the applicant pool and won't hear more for at least another month or so. However, I do not think they have ever sent out rejection emails this early before, so it seems like they are maybe doing things differently... makes me wonder if we will hear something before mid May.

On 4/1/2021 at 11:54 AM, Kerrdy said:

Yeah, that seems about right. I'm wondering if we will hear if we are accepted/waitlisted/rejected earlier than usual. Seems like they are doing things a bit differently this year, as typically no one hears anything until mid May. I think everyone who got emailed yesterday was really shocked to hear back so soon.

---

3 minutes ago, strugglingstudent said:

I think it is a good thing that they let people know this early if they didn't make the MMI cutoff! This way people don't have to worry and stress about it until May (especially if they know their references haven't been contacted) and can move on and make plans for next application cycle 

I completely agree! I'd rather know sooner than later. I just think no one was prepared to hear yet so it was shocking.

45 minutes ago, Manifestmd said:

There was that many slots available for sign up and was confirmed by a credible source that indeed all the slots were filled... I don’t know how much I can share beyond that

Interesting. Seems strange that they would hold the number of interviewees so consistent for at least the past 5 years at ~280, and then all of the sudden increase it 30% to 360. I guess the rejections of a couple days ago make more sense with this information.

27 minutes ago, naptime98 said:

Interesting. Seems strange that they would hold the number of interviewees so consistent for at least the past 5 years at ~280, and then all of the sudden increase it 30% to 360. I guess the rejections of a couple days ago make more sense with this information.

I feel that the online format and less stations allowed for this. They always say how they want to interview as many of us as possible! It is also possible that there were many more applicants than usual this year (again, unusual circumstances. OOP interviewing with no travel costs attached)

17 minutes ago, who_knows said:

I saw in one day there were only 45 slots available. Over the two days, there were 6 sessions. 6*45 = 270 people, seems like a small number. But 60 per session seems like a lot and overall 360 is a lot.

When I was signing up (very soon after the invitation was sent) the availability per slot was up to 60. I know it seems like a lot. My goal in sharing was to answer the people who were wondering, that’s all! I wouldn’t share if I didn’t feel my source was credible.

Last year they didn't enforce an MMI cutoff so everyone who interviewed had their references contacted, probably due to how shitty last year's last minute MMIs were.  Usually only people who pass the MMI cutoff  get their references contacted and are eligible to be accepted or wait listed. I think they just did the kinder thing by putting the folks with bad MMIs out of their misery earlier this year, rather than putting 100 or so people on the wait list and giving them false hope like last year. Keep in mind, only 15 or so people usually get off the IP wait list. The OOP wait list has much more movement.

The more interesting thing is enforcing the MMI cutoff for OOP. In 2018, they only interviewed 45 OOP with a cutoff of 521 on the MCAT. The lower number of people and the 40th percentile MMI cutoff meant that they only filled 2 out of the 5 OOP seats.

Also, I really doubt that they interviewed many more OOP applicants than previous years. The OOP 520 MCAT interview cutoff for this cycle was actually higher than last year's 519. I think the higher number of OOP applications is due to the introduction of CASPer. Folks on the MCAT cutoff margin(515-518) probably thought that a good CASPer could possibly help them get an interview. Of course, since UofS currently uses the CASPer to rule out the bottom 2 percent (less than two standard deviations from the mean or red flags during the test), the MCAT cutoff remained broadly the same. Since they pretty much interview all of the IP and Indigenous applicants with any feasible shot every year, I'd wager that the number of interviewed applicants remained broadly the same compared to past cycles.