Premed 101 Forums

Post-MMI thoughts/feelings

On 4/1/2021 at 11:27 AM, minahg said:

Not sure about less people being interviewed. But, I would say about 20 OOP and 40 IP were rejected yesterday. This is based on their 5 year summary: https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/admissions-statistics-5-year-summary.pdf. I think yesterday was MMI cut-offs which are about 40% OOP and 20% IP from previous years. 

If you made the cut-off, you progress to the reference contacting stage

Hey, I was wondering how you know that 20 OOP and 40 IP have already been rejected? Have they mentioned that anywhere or do you just happen to know a lot of people that have received that email?

56 minutes ago, y121212 said:

Hey, I was wondering how you know that 20 OOP and 40 IP have already been rejected? Have they mentioned that anywhere or do you just happen to know a lot of people that have received that email?

Hey! I'm basing it off previous years. In previous years, they decided whose references to contact based on an MMI cut-off (20% for IP and 40% for OOP). I took the number of people they interviewed in previous years for IP and OOP which is 220 IP and 57 OOP. If you do the math (IP - 220*0.2 = 44;  OOP - 57*0.4 = 23). 

It looks like the most recent wave of rejections was for people who didn't make this year's MMI cut-off. So I would approximate the interview pool is already cut down a bit. There could be more or less people rejected dependant on applicant pool and MMI cut-off variability from year-to-year. 

6 minutes ago, minahg said:

Hey! I'm basing it off previous years. In previous years, they decided whose references to contact based on an MMI cut-off (20% for IP and 40% for OOP). I took the number of people they interviewed in previous years for IP and OOP which is 220 IP and 57 OOP. If you do the math (IP - 220*0.2 = 44;  OOP - 57*0.4 = 23). 

It looks like the most recent wave of rejections was for people who didn't make this year's MMI cut-off. So I would approximate the interview pool is already cut down a bit. There could be more or less people rejected dependant on applicant pool and MMI cut-off variability from year-to-year. 

the 40% OOP cutoff refers to 40 percentile of every interviewee not just the IP pool!

37 minutes ago, minahg said:

Oh alright that makes sense! I didn't apply this cycle at Usask but I was wondering do you know how many people were interviewed this year? I heard that it was less than usual so I am kind of curious as to how many exactly. 

37 minutes ago, doingmedforthemoney said:

the 40% OOP cutoff refers to 40 percentile of every interviewee not just the IP pool!

Can vouch for this. Usually the 40th percentile of the whole MMI pool corresponds to 25-35 percent of the OOP pool. OOP do better on the MMI than IP applicants.

2 hours ago, y121212 said:

Oh alright that makes sense! I didn't apply this cycle at Usask but I was wondering do you know how many people were interviewed this year? I heard that it was less than usual so I am kind of curious as to how many exactly. 

I don't think really anyone knows yet. But they should release admission stats for this cycle.

One of my references notified me that they changed their number (due to work from home) when I informed them that they may be contacted soon. I have sent an email to update their contact info with admin but worry a contact attempt may have already been made. Does any one know if the University will contact you for updated info if this is the case.

18 minutes ago, HALP said:

One of my references notified me that they changed their number (due to work from home) when I informed them that they may be contacted soon. Does anyone know how best to update the number with admin or will they notify me if they were unable to get in touch with references?

They will contact you if they're unable able reach the reference. I know of it happening and it didn't adversely affect the applicant in any way. But since they usually email the reference first, the referee themselves should be able to change their contact number without you needing to do anything.

Additionally, I don't think that emailing the office would impact you if you want to tell them about the number change. The USask admissions folks are some of the nicest and most helpful in Canada, they're not out to get you. Plus, it's not like you're changing the referee, you're just changing the number for the same referee.

On 4/8/2021 at 8:39 PM, HALP said:

One of my references notified me that they changed their number (due to work from home) when I informed them that they may be contacted soon. I have sent an email to update their contact info with admin but worry a contact attempt may have already been made. Does any one know if the University will contact you for updated info if this is the case.

The references are contacted by email first to schedule a phone call so it's unlikely that they've already tried to call. :)

1 hour ago, Fendi87464 said:

One reference of mine said they were contacted and already had a call, another said he hasn't got anything. Third one idk about. Do they usually only contact some of your references?

Historically they've only contacted two references for most applicants. But some people have all three references contacted but still get admitted/wait-listed. Don't sweat the reference checks, very very few people fail it.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:39 PM, HALP said:

This happened to 2 of my references last year. 1 wasn't getting the emails even though all the contact information was correct, and one changed emails. USask emailed me both times for an alternate contact since they couldn't contact my referees. I was accepted. Can confirm it won't have an impact on your decision!