Premed 101 Forums

Can't tell how I'm doing on interviews...

Is it normal to not be able to tell if your interviews are going well?

My first one I didn't feel was too bad, but I fumbled an MMI question or 2, and since then I've had some strong ones but maybe with 1-2 questions I wasn't expecting where my answers are a little less polished/I am rambling more, and then one which was absolutely awful (bc of how I did in the interview but also bad vibes I got from the program). 

Do all of your answers have to be 10/10 to be ranked highly by a program (for example, FM at UofT or Mac)? I haven't had a single perfect interview yet so I'm nervous, but there was only one that was really terrible. Has anyone successfully matched to a program where you felt your interview was pretty good but not the best? Is there even such a thing as a perfect interview, or is it normal to think "I should have said xyz instead"?

Also, is it a bad idea to ask a resident in my top choice program to do some prep with me? They are involved in the selection process but not interviewing me because conflict of interest since we have worked together closely. 

On 3/16/2021 at 8:49 AM, Bambi said:

Behind the scenes, more likely than not, this resident has made his/her views known about the applicants. There is no harm asking, worse scenario, does not agree to do it. Good luck! :P

Very true! Thanks for your advice! 

Also is it normal to not have a single "perfect" interview? I don't think I've red flagged myself in any interviews, but in every interview it seems like I've had some questions/stations that went great and some that were subpar... is it still possible for me to match to those programs?

6 minutes ago, _gettingthere_ said:

Very true! Thanks for your advice! 

Also is it normal to not have a single "perfect" interview? I don't think I've red flagged myself in any interviews, but in every interview it seems like I've had some questions/stations that went great and some that were subpar... is it still possible for me to match to those programs?

I personally don't believe in the perfect interview. I don't think I've ever had one in my life and have been successful in securing competitive finance jobs.  When I think back to my medical school interviews, I came out feeling either okay or horrible about them --still got 2 acceptances to medical school. So I try to apply to same mentality to my CaRMs interviews.

This whole CaRMs process is unbelievably nerve-wracking--I, too, often have self-doubt and ruminate over my rambly answers. But I think as long as you tried your best, everything is going to be okay.

Hang in there and best of luck to all of us!!! 

13 hours ago, _gettingthere_ said:

Unless you're recording yourself and going back and watching it I feel like it would be impossible to objectively judge your performance due to conflicting emotions/stress. People are rarely a good judge of their own performance, and you can be very overconfident or too modest/pessimistic.

2 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Unless you're recording yourself and going back and watching it I feel like it would be impossible to objectively judge your performance due to conflicting emotions/stress. People are rarely a good judge of their own performance, and you can be very overconfident or too modest/pessimistic.

You're right, this is definitely true. Probably best not to worry about it and just do my best. Maybe I should be recording my practice sessions? But that makes me cringe LOL

15 hours ago, Butterfly_ said:

I personally don't believe in the perfect interview. I don't think I've ever had one in my life and have been successful in securing competitive finance jobs.  When I think back to my medical school interviews, I came out feeling either okay or horrible about them --still got 2 acceptances to medical school. So I try to apply to same mentality to my CaRMs interviews.

This whole CaRMs process is unbelievably nerve-wracking--I, too, often have self-doubt and ruminate over my rambly answers. But I think as long as you tried your best, everything is going to be okay.

Hang in there and best of luck to all of us!!! 

Thanks for your reply, good luck with the rest of CaRMS! I am so glad you said this bc for some reason I always feel like everyone else is crushing 100% of every interview and I'm the only one who is unsure of how things are going. Maybe most of us feel this way! 

50 minutes ago, _gettingthere_ said:

Thanks for your reply, good luck with the rest of CaRMS! I am so glad you said this bc for some reason I always feel like everyone else is crushing 100% of every interview and I'm the only one who is unsure of how things are going. Maybe most of us feel this way! 

Yea, it’s really hard to tell how an interview went. Even when I think an interview went well and had good vibes, I think, “Was it good enough?”.  All the people I’ve talked to feel the same way. You’re definitely not alone with those feelings!

Also, I spoke with some residents who told me they thought they bombed the interview and still matched to their first choice. While some said they thought they did well on the interview for a program but unfortunately didn’t match at that program. 

There’s so many variables out of our control. We have to hope for the best and stay positive!

31 days till match day!! Ahhh!!

40 minutes ago, anotheranon said:

anyone else have one interview that just was not good? haha. first time messing up with the time differences and then just absolutely off all interview. this last week is a slog.

I definitely felt like that for my first interview. Just 6 more days till the end of interview season!! Hang in there!!