Premed 101 Forums

Canadian IM residency -> US Heme-Onc Fellowship?

zxcccxz

Still a med student, but its looking like I will probably apply to IM (next year). Just wondering if anyone is aware of how easy it is to match to a good-quality US Heme-Onc fellowship following an IM residency in Canada?

Also, following the heme-onc fellowship, will there be any barriers for returning to Canada as a staff?

Yes, I know it seems as though I'm making my life unnecessarily difficult by going to the US if I ultimately intent to practice here, but my reasons are (1) I would love to live in the US for a few years just for the opportunity to live in a different country, travel, and get some different life experiences (2) I really enjoy both Heme and Onc, and there aren't any combined Heme-Onc programs in Canada (as far as I'm aware), so it fit well with my clinical and academic goals to do a combined Heme-One fellowship.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:12 AM, zxcccxz said:

Still a med student, but its looking like I will probably apply to IM (next year). Just wondering if anyone is aware of how easy it is to match to a good-quality US Heme-Onc fellowship following an IM residency in Canada?

Also, following the heme-onc fellowship, will there be any barriers for returning to Canada as a staff?

Yes, I know it seems as though I'm making my life unnecessarily difficult by going to the US if I ultimately intent to practice here, but my reasons are (1) I would love to live in the US for a few years just for the opportunity to live in a different country, travel, and get some different life experiences (2) I really enjoy both Heme and Onc, and there aren't any combined Heme-Onc programs in Canada (as far as I'm aware), so it fit well with my clinical and academic goals to do a combined Heme-One fellowship.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Ensure the fellowship would be accepted in Canada for practice licensure in the respective fields.  Heme is 2 years here, as is medical oncology.