Premed 101 Forums

My ABS has mistakes in it... Do they re-rank the ABS post-interview?

Hi everyone, so it says on the Queen's site that they will be creating the final ranking for offers based on: our ABS, our references, and interview scores. Well, this could be a problem for me...I was looking over my sketch on OMSAS and noticed:

• 2 spelling errors (e.g., "cough" instead of "couch")...
  • A duplicated entry... I have no clue how I missed this. It's literally the same entry twice, right beside one another.

I am extremely concerned. For anyone who has gotten into Queen's or discussed the ranking process with the admissions office, do you know if the ABS is ranked *only pre-interview*, or do they re-rank the ABS' *post-interview*?

I'm not even sure of how I made it this far with these errors. Don't they look at your ABS early on? I feel so stupid for making these mistakes and suddenly I can't stop thinking that this will disqualify me entirely from the process. If any current or former Queen's students have insights on this or experience with this issue, please let me know!

I am only an applicant, so take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that they score each aspect of the applications at full file review pre-MMI (so a score for ABS, a score for LOR etc) and then use those component scores throughout the process to rank people, re-weighting the scores at each step according to their undisclosed internal weighting schemes for each stage rather than going back and re-scoring everyone's ABS every time. If I'm correct, whatever your ABS score is would already account for those typos if they decided those were an issue, so if you got an interview they probably didn't hurt you very much!

I hope that helps :) 

Edit: a thought that reinforces my understanding above - MMI invite and panel invite are both offered based on rankings that include ABS scores. I doubt that they evaluated all 500 MMIs and re-evaluated 500 ABS in 2 weeks to get panel invites out as fast as they did! I think they probably used scores determined earlier on for the ABS piece as above and just adjusted how much it was worth.

57 minutes ago, Gazoo4242 said:

I am only an applicant, so take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that they score each aspect of the applications at full file review pre-MMI (so a score for ABS, a score for LOR etc) and then use those component scores throughout the process to rank people, re-weighting the scores at each step according to their undisclosed internal weighting schemes for each stage rather than going back and re-scoring everyone's ABS every time. If I'm correct, whatever your ABS score is would already account for those typos if they decided those were an issue, so if you got an interview they probably didn't hurt you very much!

I hope that helps :) 

Edit: a thought that reinforces my understanding above - MMI invite and panel invite are both offered based on rankings that include ABS scores. I doubt that they evaluated all 500 MMIs and re-evaluated 500 ABS in 2 weeks to get panel invites out as fast as they did! I think they probably used scores determined earlier on for the ABS piece as above and just adjusted how much it was worth.

Thank you so much for your reply! That was my original understanding, since it wouldn't be efficient to revisit the ABS at each stage. But I also assume that they'll have the ABS in front of them for the panel interview and will be picking it apart to come up with questions. That's another chance for them to look over it and find mistakes LOL (and I can't blame them if they judge me for it haha)

I appreciate your reply, and best of luck the rest of this application cycle!

Super understandable to feel stressed! Granted I went through this 4 years ago, but I recall having a minor typo and emailing them a correction. It didn't seem frowned upon, they just said they would note it down. That said I don't think I would bother with that again if it were to be the case.

Honestly, I highly doubt this will take your application from the yes pile to the no pile. The ABS is kinda dry and cold, I think it would be a slightly bigger issue if it were in a personal statement of interest etc. Rest easy friend! I know its worrisome, I'd be worried too but honestly I don't think it'll be a huge deal. I agree with the above poster. Anyone in an interview also won't really have the time to notice typos and stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 9:35 AM, Gazoo4242 said:

I'm wondering, how did you come to this conclusion? I've been trying to sift through emails and the Queen's Medicine website to see if they mention anything about using the ABS + reference letters as part of the ranking to decide who gets panel invites, but I can't find any. 

Right now, it's unclear to me if the scores from the ABS+letters has any bearing on who they invited to panel, or if panel invites were solely based on MMI performance. 

I have a feeling you're right based on anecdotal evidence, but I wanted to get official confirmation on this. Do you know of any? 

2 hours ago, tea-otter said:

I'm wondering, how did you come to this conclusion? I've been trying to sift through emails and the Queen's Medicine website to see if they mention anything about using the ABS + reference letters as part of the ranking to decide who gets panel invites, but I can't find any. 

Right now, it's unclear to me if the scores from the ABS+letters has any bearing on who they invited to panel, or if panel invites were solely based on MMI performance. 

I have a feeling you're right based on anecdotal evidence, but I wanted to get official confirmation on this. Do you know of any? 

Check out Step 5 on the website (Method of Selection section) https://meds.queensu.ca/academics/undergraduate/prospective-students/applying/method-selection

I think they are referring to ABS+ letters of reference used in the decision making process as a whole? I don't think it is super clear the exact process they use for panel selection, but this page also notes that GPA/MCAT are used to rank applicants for the MMI.

"Successful applicants are reviewed and ranked by the Admissions Committee and offers are made based on a ranked list. The rank order list is comprised of applicant scores from the Sketch, Letters of Reference and Interview Scores. Offers will be made after the first round on a rolling basis until the class has been filled. Once the class is complete all waitlisted applicants will be informed that offers are no longer being made."

Good luck, I am trying my best not to ruminate on my answers :)

3 hours ago, MD2B said:

Check out Step 5 on the website (Method of Selection section) https://meds.queensu.ca/academics/undergraduate/prospective-students/applying/method-selection

I think they are referring to ABS+ letters of reference used in the decision making process as a whole? I don't think it is super clear the exact process they use for panel selection, but this page also notes that GPA/MCAT are used to rank applicants for the MMI.

"Successful applicants are reviewed and ranked by the Admissions Committee and offers are made based on a ranked list. The rank order list is comprised of applicant scores from the Sketch, Letters of Reference and Interview Scores. Offers will be made after the first round on a rolling basis until the class has been filled. Once the class is complete all waitlisted applicants will be informed that offers are no longer being made."

Good luck, I am trying my best not to ruminate on my answers :)

Yeah, this was where I was looking but it doesn't specifically mention how panel invites are decided. 

Well, I'll try not to ruminate for now, but I might email them later to clarify (if they'll even tell us haha). 

I feel you on trying not to go over answers. At the end of the day, it's out of our hands now! Here's hoping for good news come May 11!

16 hours ago, tea-otter said:

I swear this was on the website in the method of selection steps, but I can't find it now either! I'll keep poking around :)

On 3/30/2021 at 10:03 AM, Gazoo4242 said:

I swear this was on the website in the method of selection steps, but I can't find it now either! I'll keep poking around :)

Yeah, I'm not sure if we both hallucinated it or what, but I could've sworn I read it somewhere official as well! Weird...